Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500iSR
In summary, the Pulsar PG4500iSR is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4500iSR's core is the 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3700W and a peak wattage of 4500W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), this inverter generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The PG4500iSR can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
With a full tank, the PG4500iSR can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.46 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PG4500iSR generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready.
As the Pulsar PG4500iSR is an inverter generator, its encased design (L26 x W24 x H28 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 102 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀5") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Several light indicators serve to show you when its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a key fob in the PG4500iSR's packaging.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500iSR compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Pulsar PG4500iSR stands at only 102 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 3500-4500 rated wattage category If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 64 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cummins Onan P4500i with only 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the PG4500iSR, with an autonomy of around 7 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.46 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Pulsar PG4500iSR is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (102 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (64 dBA)
- No data center
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3700 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26 x 24 x 28 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Key fob and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2940 W||3530 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.