Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500iSR
In summary, the Pulsar PG4500iSR is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4500iSR houses a 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3700W along with a peak wattage of 4500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the PG4500iSR can also be remotely started (key fob included).
The PG4500iSR can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.46 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PG4500iSR generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L26 x W24 x H28 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 102 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5") and its telecospic handle, once it is placed on the ground.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a key fob in the PG4500iSR's packaging.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500iSR compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Pulsar PG4500iSR has only 102 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 64 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the PG4500iSR falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.46 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Pulsar PG4500iSR is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (102 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (64 dBA)
- No data center
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3700 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26 x 24 x 28 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Key fob and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2940 W||3530 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.