Dual fuel + CO sensor
Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500iSR
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4500iSR is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4500iSR's core is the 224 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,700W and a peak wattage of 4,500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (PGiPAIRB3 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the PG4500iSR may also be remotely started (key fob included).
The PG4500iSR can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.46 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons.
As the PG4500iSR produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready.
Since the Pulsar PG4500iSR is an inverter generator, its closed design (L26 x W24 x H28 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 102 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5") and its telecospic handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a key fob in the PG4500iSR's packaging.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500iSR compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- At a weight of 102 pounds, the Pulsar PG4500iSR places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 64 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the PG4500iSR falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.46 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.23 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Pulsar PG4500iSR is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (102 lbs)
- No data center
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,700 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26 x 24 x 28 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Key fob and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2945 W||3535 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.