-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 11
Dual fuel + CO sensor
Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO
In summary, the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3,700W and a starting wattage of 4,500W. If propane-powered, it gives 3,330 rated watts and 4,050 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
Pulsar’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). The PG4500BiSRCO can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The PG4500BiSRCO, with a fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons, reaches a run time of around 7 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.46 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 8 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH) with propane.
As the PG4500BiSRCO produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.5 x W18.7 x H21.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
As the generator's weight is 103 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a key fob in the PG4500BiSRCO's packaging.
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 103 pounds, the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO finds itself in the expected weight range for inverter generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 64 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the PG4500BiSRCO, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.46 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.23 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sentry technology
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Switch & Go technology
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- No data center
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,700 W||3,330 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W||4,050 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps||27.8 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||8 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 18.7 x 21.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Key fob and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2945 W||3535 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.