Dual fuel + CO sensor
Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,700W along with a peak wattage of 4,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 3,330 rated watts and 4,050 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
Pulsar’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office). The PG4500BiSRCO can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The PG4500BiSRCO, with a fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons, reaches a run time of around 7 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.46 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 8 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH) with propane.
The PG4500BiSRCO generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Since the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is an inverter generator, its closed design (L24.5 x W18.7 x H21.1 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
As the generator's weight is 103 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a key fob in the PG4500BiSRCO's packaging.
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 103 lbs, the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 64 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the PG4500BiSRCO falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.46 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.23 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- CO Sentry technology
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Switch & Go technology
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- No data center
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,700 W||3,330 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W||4,050 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps||27.8 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||8 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 18.7 x 21.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Key fob and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2945 W||3535 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.