Dual fuel + CO sensor
Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3700W and a starting wattage of 4500W. If propane-powered, it gives 3330 rated watts and 4050 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
Pulsar’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office). To add further convenience, the PG4500BiSRCO can be remotely started (key fob included).
The running time of the PG4500BiSRCO, with its 3.2 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 7 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.46 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 8 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PG4500BiSRCO generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L24.5 x W18.7 x H21.1 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 103 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a key fob in the PG4500BiSRCO's packaging.
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- With a dry weight of 103 pounds, the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO finds itself in the expected weight range for inverter generators able to produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 64 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the PG4500BiSRCO, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.46 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.23 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO Sentry technology
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Switch & Go technology
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- No data center
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3700 W||3330 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W||4050 W|
|Running amps||30.8 amps||27.8 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps||33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h||8 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 18.7 x 21.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Key fob and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500BiSRCO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2947 W||3947 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2945 W||3535 W|
|Total||2910 W||4010 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.