Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4500 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4500 houses a 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4500W.
With a noise rating of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The PG4500 can operate for around 15 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready. In addition, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG4500 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Pulsar PG4500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28 x W18 x H19 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 103 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the PG4500 includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Pulsar PG4500 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Pulsar PG4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a weight of 103 pounds, the Pulsar PG4500 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 70 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cat INV4000E. With just 51 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 15 hours at 50% load, the PG4500 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 18 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.