Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4500 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4500 is powered by a 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a shower), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the PG4500 can operate for around 15 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG4500 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG4500, which are L28 x W18 x H19 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 103 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The PG4500's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Pulsar PG4500 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Pulsar PG4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- With a dry weight of 103 pounds, the Pulsar PG4500 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 70 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- Since the PG4500 boasts with a run time of around 15 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 18 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.