Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500
In summary, the Pulsar PG4500 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4500's engine, 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a vacuum cleaner).
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the PG4500 may run for around 15 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready. In addition, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG4500 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Pulsar PG4500 has the following dimensions: L28 x W18 x H19 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 103 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
The PG4500's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Pulsar PG4500's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Pulsar PG4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 103 lbs, the Pulsar PG4500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Generac GP3500iO, with a dry weight of just 74.3 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 70 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of 15 hours at 50% load, the PG4500 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, reaching 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (70 dBA)
Where to buy the Pulsar PG4500?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 18 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.