This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
If you were looking to purchase it, you may want to have a look at the Powermate PM4500, which has similar specs.
You can also try to find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500
In summary, the Pulsar PG4500 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4500's core is the 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4500W.
With a noise rating of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the PG4500 can operate for around 15 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready. In addition, since the PG4500 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Pulsar PG4500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L28 x W18 x H19 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 103 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The PG4500's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Pulsar PG4500 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Pulsar PG4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 103 lbs, the Pulsar PG4500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 70 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- As the PG4500 features an autonomy of around 15 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 18 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.