Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4500 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4500 is powered by a 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a dishwasher). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the PG4500 to operate for around 15 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH).
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, as the PG4500 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Pulsar PG4500 has the following dimensions: L28 x W18 x H19 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 103 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The PG4500's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Pulsar PG4500 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Pulsar PG4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 103 pounds, the Pulsar PG4500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 70 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cat INV4000E. With just 51 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the PG4500 features an autonomy of around 15 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (70 dBA)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 18 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.