Zoom on the Pulsar PG4500
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4500 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4500's engine, 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a vacuum cleaner), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the PG4500 can operate for around 15 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'). In addition, because the PG4500 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Pulsar PG4500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L28 x W18 x H19 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 103 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the PG4500 includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Pulsar PG4500's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, letting you start it right off the bat.
The Pulsar PG4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 103 lbs, the Pulsar PG4500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 70 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of around 15 hours at 50% load, the PG4500 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (70 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28 x 18 x 19 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.