-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 39
This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Pulsar PG4500iSR. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Pulsar PG4000iSR
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4000iSR houses a 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,500W along with a peak wattage of 4,000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PGiPAIRB3 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). The PG4000iSR can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons, the PG4000iSR may run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the PG4000iSR produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L30 x W20 x H21 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
As the PG4000iSR's weight is only 92.6 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
When its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Pulsar PG4000iSR also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, oil, key fob, funnel and battery charging cables.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4000iSR compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 92.6 lbs, the Pulsar PG4000iSR belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 63 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Cat INV4000E. With just 51 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the PG4000iSR boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most inverter generators of a comparable output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, reaching around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.22 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Decent weight (92.6 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- 1-year warranty
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charging cables, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Where can I buy parts for my PG 4000 isr ? The invertor is bad and I only used it a few months, (Asked June 30, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered through Pulsar's support: 1-866-591-8921.
Where do you put the oil? (Asked September 25, 2022)
When facing the control panel, the oil access cover is located on the right-hand side panel.