This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Pulsar PG4500iSR. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Pulsar PG4000iSR
In summary, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4000iSR houses a 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (PGiPAIRB3 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the PG4000iSR can also be remotely started (key fob included).
The PG4000iSR can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
As the PG4000iSR produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L30 x W20 x H21 in), the Pulsar PG4000iSR, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The PG4000iSR's dry weight of 92.6 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Pulsar PG4000iSR, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, oil, key fob, tool kit and funnel.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4000iSR compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 92.6 lbs, the Pulsar PG4000iSR belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM3300i, weighing just 47.4 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 63 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- With a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the PG4000iSR has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cummins Onan P4500i, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you could look out for.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Decent weight (92.6 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- 1-year warranty
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charging cables, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Where can I buy parts for my PG 4000 isr ? The invertor is bad and I only used it a few months, (Asked June 30, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered through Pulsar's support: 1-866-591-8921.
Where do you put the oil? (Asked September 25, 2022)
When facing the control panel, the oil access cover is located on the right-hand side panel.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.