This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Pulsar PG4500iSR. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Pulsar PG4000iSR
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4000iSR's engine, 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). The PG4000iSR can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons, the PG4000iSR can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH).
As the PG4000iSR produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L30 x W20 x H21 in), the Pulsar PG4000iSR, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The PG4000iSR's dry weight of 92.6 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, with its set of 2 wheels and its telecospic handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
When the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Pulsar PG4000iSR's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, oil, key fob, funnel and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4000iSR compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Pulsar PG4000iSR has only 92.6 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 63 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- As the PG4000iSR offers around 12 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (92.6 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, battery charging cables, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Where can I buy parts for my PG 4000 isr ? The invertor is bad and I only used it a few months, (Asked June 30, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered through Pulsar's support: 1-866-591-8921.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.