Zoom on the Pulsar PG4000iSR
In summary, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4000iSR's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included). It is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). The PG4000iSR can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The PG4000iSR can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The PG4000iSR generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready.
Since the Pulsar PG4000iSR is an inverter generator, its closed design (L30 x W20 x H21 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
With a dry weight of 92.6 lbs, the PG4000iSR can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its set of 2 wheels will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Pulsar PG4000iSR, the following accessories are also included: oil, funnel, battery charging cables, tool kit and key fob.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4000iSR compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Pulsar PG4000iSR has only 92.6 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 63 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- Offering around 12 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the PG4000iSR is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (92.6 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Battery not included
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2492 W||3992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.