Zoom on the Pulsar PG4000iSR
In summary, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4000iSR's core is the 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the PG4000iSR can also be remotely started (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons, the PG4000iSR may run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the PG4000iSR produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L30 x W20 x H21 in), the Pulsar PG4000iSR, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
With a dry weight of 92.6 lbs, the PG4000iSR can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its wheel kit will allow you to shift it without effort.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG4000iSR also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, funnel, oil, tool kit and key fob.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4000iSR compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Pulsar PG4000iSR weighs just 92.6 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3000 to 4000 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 63 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- Given that the PG4000iSR reaches an autonomy of around 12 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (92.6 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Battery not included
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob, and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.