Zoom on the Pulsar PG4000iSR
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is powered by a 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the PG4000iSR can also be remotely started (key fob included).
The PG4000iSR can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The PG4000iSR produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L30 x W20 x H21 in), the Pulsar PG4000iSR, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
With a dry weight of 92.6 lbs, the PG4000iSR can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of a wheel kit and a telescopic handle, once it is on the ground.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Pulsar PG4000iSR, the following accessories are also included: funnel, key fob, battery charging cables, tool kit and oil.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4000iSR compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Pulsar PG4000iSR weighs just 92.6 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3000 to 4000 rated wattage generators. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 63 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the PG4000iSR offers around 12 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (92.6 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Battery not included
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.