Zoom on the Pulsar PG4000iSR
In summary, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4000iSR's core is the 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3500W and a peak wattage of 4000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the PG4000iSR can also be remotely started (key fob included).
The PG4000iSR can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The PG4000iSR generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready.
As the Pulsar PG4000iSR is an inverter generator, its encased design (L30 x W20 x H21 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The 92.6 lbs of the PG4000iSR's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its wheel kit.
When the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG4000iSR also comes with some accessories: oil, key fob, battery charging cables, tool kit and funnel are included.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4000iSR compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Pulsar PG4000iSR only weighs in at 92.6 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 63 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- The PG4000iSR, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 12 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (92.6 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Battery not included
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.