Zoom on the Pulsar PG4000iSR
In summary, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4000iSR's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4000W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included). The PG4000iSR can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (key fob included).
The PG4000iSR can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
The PG4000iSR produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Pulsar generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
As the Pulsar PG4000iSR is an inverter generator, its encased design (L30 x W20 x H21 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 92.6 lbs of the PG4000iSR's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, with its wheel kit, it may be shifted with ease, once placed the floor.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Pulsar PG4000iSR's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, oil, key fob, tool kit and funnel.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4000iSR compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As for its weight, the Pulsar PG4000iSR weighs only 92.6 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 63 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Cat INV4000E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 51 dBA.
- The PG4000iSR, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 12 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000X, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (92.6 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Battery not included
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.