Zoom on the Pulsar PG4000iSR
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG4000iSR houses a 224 cc (8 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4000W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included). To add further convenience, the PG4000iSR can be remotely started (key fob included).
The PG4000iSR can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.4 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PG4000iSR generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L30 x W20 x H21 in), the Pulsar PG4000iSR, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The PG4000iSR can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 92.6 lbs. In addition, with a wheel kit and a telescopic handle, it may be displaced with ease, once placed the floor.
The light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Pulsar PG4000iSR's package also includes these accessories: key fob, tool kit, battery charging cables, oil and funnel.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG4000iSR compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Pulsar PG4000iSR weighs just 92.6 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 3000 to 4000 rated wattage generators. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3500iO, with a dry weight of only 74.3 lbs.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 63 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- The PG4000iSR, offering a run time of 12 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, as it provides 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Pulsar PG4000iSR is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (92.6 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Battery not included
Where to buy the Pulsar PG4000iSR?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||224 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||3.4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, key fob and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG4000iSR is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.