ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 2
Zoom on the Pulsar PG3500MR
In summary, the Pulsar PG3500MR is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG3500MR is powered by a 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,000W as well as a peak wattage of 3,500W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the PG3500MR can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its dimensions of L23.6 x W17.5 x H17.9 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG3500MR offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 92 lbs of the PG3500MR's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, with its wheel kit and its folding handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
A light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a tool kit in the PG3500MR's packaging.
The Pulsar PG3500MR is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG3500MR versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG3500MR compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 92 lbs, the Pulsar PG3500MR belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of only 46 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- With a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the PG3500MR has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.22 GPH, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Pulsar PG3500MR is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Decent weight (92 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.6 x 17.5 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||PG3500M|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG3500MR is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1962 W||3462 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2390 W||2980 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
Pull cord assembly was crushed and couldn’t get it to pull,tires so soft they won’t stay on the rim. And the paint was chipped and rust was under the paint,stay away. Emailed Rick at corporate and he was a problem out the gate. Pulsar won’t stand behind their product and that’s with a three year warranty, my generator is less than a day ol
Runs everything in my 24 ft camp trailer with ease, 18000 btu rooftop air, refrigerator, 12 volt battery charger plus all the appliances i use, coffee maker, tv, dvd player…everything! All at once if i so choose. Owned many other brands of generators with same output & this pulsar 3500 beats them all! Its been used for the last 2 years hard. Sum it up…AWESOME generator!