Zoom on the Pulsar PG3250
In summary, the Pulsar PG3250 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG3250's design includes a gasoline-fueled 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2500W and also a peak wattage of 3250W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the PG3250 can operate for around 16 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.25 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Pulsar PG3250 has the following dimensions: L23.6 x W17.5 x H17.9 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the PG3250's weight is only 87 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Pulsar PG3250 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Pulsar PG3250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG3250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG3250 compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- With a dry weight of 87 pounds, the Pulsar PG3250 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2000 and 3000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Westinghouse iGen2600, weighing just 48 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 68 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- Since the PG3250 boasts with a run time of around 16 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.25 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2600, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Pulsar PG3250 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Decent weight (87 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||3250 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||16 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.6 x 17.5 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG3250 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1992 W||2992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1980 W||2430 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1980 W||3080 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.