Zoom on the Pulsar PG3250
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG3250 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG3250's engine, 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 3,250W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the PG3250 to operate for around 16 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.25 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its dimensions of L23.6 x W17.5 x H17.9 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG3250 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The PG3250 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 87 lbs. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
A light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Pulsar PG3250 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Pulsar PG3250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG3250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG3250 compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As its weight is 87 pounds, the Pulsar PG3250 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2000-3000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN 56360i, with a dry weight of just 46.3 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 68 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- Since the PG3250 boasts with a run time of around 16 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as one of the devices with the highest run time among those of a comparable output.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.25 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Cummins Onan P2500i, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Pulsar PG3250 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (87 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|1x 12V 8A output
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|23.6 x 17.5 x 17.9 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Bonded to frame
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG3250 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.