Zoom on the Pulsar PG3250
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG3250 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG3250's engine, 208 cc (7 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 3,250W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The PG3250 can operate for around 16 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.25 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its dimensions of L23.6 x W17.5 x H17.9 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG3250 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 87 lbs of the PG3250's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Pulsar PG3250 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Pulsar PG3250 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG3250 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG3250 compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 87 lbs, the Pulsar PG3250 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2000 to 3000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Westinghouse iGen2500, with a dry weight of just 46.3 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 68 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- As the PG3250 features an autonomy of around 16 hours at 50% load, it has one of the highest run times in comparison to the other generators of its power range.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.25 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Cummins Onan P2500i, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Pulsar PG3250 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Decent weight (87 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2,500 W|
|Starting watts||3,250 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peak amps||27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||16 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.6 x 17.5 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG3250 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1992 W||2992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1980 W||2430 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1980 W||3080 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.