Zoom on the Pulsar PG2300iS
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2300iS is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2300iS's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1800W and also a peak wattage of 2300W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 59 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the PG2300iS can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PG2300iS generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Pulsar PG2300iS is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L19.6 x W11.2 x H17.9 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Weighing just 47.1 lbs, the PG2300iS can be considered a lightweight portable generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Pulsar PG2300iS, the following accessories are also included: funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG2300iS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2300iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2300iS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Pulsar PG2300iS stands at only 47.1 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest noise of 59 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the PG2300iS, reaching around 6 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with around 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.12 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2300iS is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (47.1 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (59 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.6 x 11.2 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||59 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2300iS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
HI. How do I register my Pulsar 2300W Gas Generator Inverter in order to get my 2 year warranty? (Asked July 18, 2020)
You can register your unit directly from Pulsar's website, here (opens in a new tab).
Can you join this generator with another 2300 (Asked January 09, 2021)
Yes. The unit is parallel-capable.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.