Zoom on the Pulsar PG2300iSCO
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2300iSCO is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2300iSCO's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1,800W and also a peak wattage of 2,300W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (PGiPAIRB2 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the PG2300iSCO can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
As the PG2300iSCO produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 5V USB port (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L19.6 x W11.2 x H17.9 in), the Pulsar PG2300iSCO, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
With a weight of only 47.1 lbs, the PG2300iSCO may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG2300iSCO also comes with some accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit are included.
The Pulsar PG2300iSCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2300iSCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2300iSCO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 47.1 pounds, the Pulsar PG2300iSCO places in the expected weight range of the inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 64 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- The PG2300iSCO's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only around 6 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse iGen2200, boasting with around 10 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.2 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.11 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Pulsar PG2300iSCO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Sentry technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (47.1 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (64 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port (USB-A)
1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.6 x 11.2 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2300iSCO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
HI. How do I register my Pulsar 2300W Gas Generator Inverter in order to get my 2 year warranty? (Asked July 18, 2020)
You can register your unit directly from Pulsar's website, here (opens in a new tab).
Can you join this generator with another 2300 (Asked January 09, 2021)
Yes. The unit is parallel-capable.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.