Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG2200BiS allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1800W and a starting wattage of 2200W. If propane-powered, it gives 1600 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
As for its running time, the PG2200BiS, along with its 1.2 gallon fuel capacity, can run for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the PG2200BiS produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L18 x W12 x H20 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The PG2200BiS can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 54 lbs. Moreover, the convenient handle (molded in the case) greatly enhances the grip, making displacing the PG2200BiS from A to B always an easy task.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG2200BiS also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With a dry weight of 54 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200BiS finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 60 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Given that the PG2200BiS reaches an autonomy of around 8 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for around 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.12 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.