Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG2200BiS allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1800W and a starting wattage of 2200W. If propane-powered, it gives 1600 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation).
Regarding its running time, the PG2200BiS, with a 1.2 gallon fuel capacity can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the PG2200BiS produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L18 x W12 x H20 in), the Pulsar PG2200BiS, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The PG2200BiS can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 54 lbs. Furthermore, moving the PG2200BiS from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
The device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG2200BiS also comes with some accessories: funnel, oil, propane hose and tool kit are included.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With a dry weight of 54 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200BiS finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 60 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Given that the PG2200BiS reaches an autonomy of around 8 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for around 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.12 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.