Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Pulsar PG2200BiS delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 1800W and a peak wattage of 2200W. When propane-powered, it has 1600 rated watts and 2000 peak watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation).
The running time of the PG2200BiS, with its 1.2 gallon fuel capacity, can reach around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
As the PG2200BiS produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlet safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming AC outlet:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the Pulsar PG2200BiS is an inverter generator, its closed design (L18 x W12 x H20 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
As the PG2200BiS's weight is only 54 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, the convenient handle (molded in the case) greatly enhances the grip, making displacing the PG2200BiS from A to B always an easy task.
The device’s light indicators will display if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG2200BiS also comes with some accessories: propane hose, oil, tool kit and funnel are included.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 54 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200BiS places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 60 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Offering 8 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the PG2200BiS is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.12 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
Where to buy the Pulsar PG2200BiS?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Propane hose, tool kit, oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.