Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Pulsar PG2200BiS delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 1800W and a peak wattage of 2200W. When propane-powered, it has 1600 rated watts and 2000 peak watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Regarding its running time, the PG2200BiS, with a 1.2 gallon fuel capacity can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The PG2200BiS produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlet.
The control panel includes the following AC outlet:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Since the Pulsar PG2200BiS is an inverter generator, its closed design (L18 x W12 x H20 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The 54 lbs of the PG2200BiS's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Additionally, a conveniently placed handle (molded in the case) is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the PG2200BiS across any distance.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG2200BiS also comes with some accessories: propane hose, funnel, tool kit and oil are included.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 54 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200BiS places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 60 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- As the PG2200BiS offers around 8 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with around 20 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.12 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Propane hose, tool kit, oil and funnel|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.