Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Pulsar PG2200BiS provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2200W. While propane-powered, it provides 1600 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (PGiPAIRB2 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as an office), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the PG2200BiS can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), or for around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH) using propane.
As the PG2200BiS produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
As the Pulsar PG2200BiS is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18 x W12 x H20 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The PG2200BiS's dry weight of 54 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, its nifty handle (molded in the case) improves your grip, allowing for an easy transport of the PG2200BiS from place to place.
The light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Pulsar PG2200BiS's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, propane hose, oil and funnel.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- A weight of 54 lbs makes the Pulsar PG2200BiS one of the heavier inverters in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 60 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Given that the PG2200BiS reaches an autonomy of around 8 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Lifan ESI 2500iER-EFI, with around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.11 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (54 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.