Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG2200BiS allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1800W and a starting wattage of 2200W. If propane-powered, it gives 1600 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation).
The running time of the PG2200BiS, with its 1.2 gallon fuel capacity, can reach around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
As the PG2200BiS produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Since the Pulsar PG2200BiS is an inverter generator, its closed design (L18 x W12 x H20 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
With a dry weight of 54 lbs, the PG2200BiS can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, its nifty handle (molded in the case) improves your grip, allowing for an easy displacement of the PG2200BiS from place to place.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG2200BiS also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, oil, funnel and propane hose.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With a dry weight of 54 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200BiS finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 60 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- The PG2200BiS, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 8 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for around 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.12 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.