Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG2200BiS allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1,800W and a starting wattage of 2,200W. If propane-powered, it gives 1,600 rated watts and 2,000 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (PGiPAIRB2 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Regarding its running time, the PG2200BiS, with a 1.2 gallon fuel capacity can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
As the PG2200BiS produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L18 x W12 x H20 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
With a dry weight of 54 lbs, the PG2200BiS can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Furthermore, moving the PG2200BiS from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG2200BiS also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With its weight of 54 lbs, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is one of the heavier inverter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 60 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Since the PG2200BiS boasts with a run time of around 8 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most inverter generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen2200, as it provides around 10 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.11 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Dual Fuel
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (54 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1,800 W||1,600 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W||2,000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.