Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG2200BiS allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1800W and a starting wattage of 2200W. If propane-powered, it gives 1600 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The running time of the PG2200BiS, with its 1.2 gallon fuel capacity, can reach around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The PG2200BiS generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Since the Pulsar PG2200BiS is an inverter generator, its closed design (L18 x W12 x H20 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
With a dry weight of 54 lbs, the PG2200BiS can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, its nifty handle (molded in the case) improves your grip, allowing for an easy transport of the PG2200BiS from place to place.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Pulsar PG2200BiS's package also includes these accessories: funnel, tool kit, propane hose and oil.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 54 lbs, the Pulsar PG2200BiS belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 60 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Offering around 8 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the PG2200BiS is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.12 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.