Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar PG2200BiS allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 1,800W and a starting wattage of 2,200W. If propane-powered, it gives 1,600 rated watts and 2,000 starting watts. In addition, the device is parallel capable (PGiPAIRB2 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 60 dBA (just as noisy as background music).
The running time of the PG2200BiS, with its 1.2 gallon fuel capacity, can reach around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
As the PG2200BiS produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L18 x W12 x H20 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 54 lbs of the PG2200BiS's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, moving the PG2200BiS from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
The light indicators show you if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG2200BiS also is packed along with the following accessories: propane hose, tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- A weight of 54 lbs makes the Pulsar PG2200BiS one of the heavier inverters in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 60 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- As the PG2200BiS features an autonomy of around 8 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its type and power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse iGen2200, as it provides around 10 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.11 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (54 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1,800 W||1,600 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W||2,000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.