Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200BiS
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Pulsar PG2200BiS provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2200W. While propane-powered, it provides 1600 rated watts and 2000 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (PG-iPAIR-B1 parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as background music), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The running time of the PG2200BiS, with its 1.2 gallon fuel capacity, can reach around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 20 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.24 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PG2200BiS generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L18 x W12 x H20 in), the Pulsar PG2200BiS, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
With a dry weight of 54 lbs, the PG2200BiS can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Additionally, a conveniently placed handle (molded in the case) is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the PG2200BiS across any distance.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG2200BiS also comes with some accessories: oil, propane hose, tool kit and funnel are included.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200BiS compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 54 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200BiS places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 60 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The PG2200BiS, offering a run time of around 8 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with around 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.12 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200BiS is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||80 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||1800 W||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W||2000 W|
|Running amps||15 amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h||20 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 12 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200BiS is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.