Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2200 houses a 98 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1600W along with a peak wattage of 2200W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than an office).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon, the PG2200 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG2200, which are L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
With a dry weight of 60 lbs, the PG2200 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The PG2200's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Pulsar PG2200 also comes with the basic documentation and a user manual, allowing you to start it right away.
The Pulsar PG2200 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 60 lbs, the Pulsar PG2200 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 66 dBA is on the noisier side. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the PG2200 boasts with a run time of 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.12 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (60 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (66 dBA)
Where to buy the Pulsar PG2200?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.