Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2200's build contains a gasoline-fueled 98 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1600W and also a peak wattage of 2200W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon allows the PG2200 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG2200, which are L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The PG2200's dry weight of 60 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The PG2200's control center features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Pulsar PG2200's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Pulsar PG2200 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 60 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 66 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- As the PG2200 features an autonomy of around 12 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with around 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.12 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (60 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (66 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.