Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2200 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2200's core is the 98 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1,600W and a peak wattage of 2,200W.
With a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the PG2200 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The design of the Pulsar PG2200 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
With a dry weight of 62 lbs, the PG2200 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The PG2200's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a tool kit in the PG2200's packaging.
The Pulsar PG2200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its dry weight is 62 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200 is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 1500 to 2500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 68 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Since the PG2200 boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG3250, with around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (62 lbs)
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,600 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
|Other model numbers||PG2200R|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.