Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2200 houses a 98 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1600W along with a peak wattage of 2200W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than an office).
With a fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon, the PG2200 may run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The design of the Pulsar PG2200 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The PG2200's dry weight of 60 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The PG2200 and its control panel include a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Pulsar PG2200 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Pulsar PG2200 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With a dry weight of 60 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56202i with only 38.6 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 66 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Since the PG2200 boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with around 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.12 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (60 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (66 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.