-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 1
Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2200's core is the 98 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1,600W and a peak wattage of 2,200W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon allows the PG2200 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The design of the Pulsar PG2200 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 62 lbs, the PG2200 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
To help you monitor the PG2200's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a tool kit in the PG2200's packaging.
The Pulsar PG2200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- A weight of 62 lbs makes the Pulsar PG2200 one of the heavier devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 68 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the PG2200 boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG3250, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (62 lbs)
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,600 W|
|Starting watts||2,200 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
|Other model numbers||PG2200R|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.