Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2200 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2200 houses a 98 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1600W along with a peak wattage of 2200W.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The PG2200 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its dimensions of L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG2200 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The PG2200 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 62 lbs. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The control panel of the PG2200 includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a tool kit in the PG2200's packaging.
The Pulsar PG2200 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 62 pounds, the Pulsar PG2200 is one of the heavier generators producing between 1500 and 2500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM2000i, standing at just 34.2 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 68 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the PG2200 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG3250, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No electric start
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (62 lbs)
- On the noisy side (68 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peak amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
|Other model numbers||PG2200R|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.