Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2200's core is the 98 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1600W and a peak wattage of 2200W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon, the PG2200 may run for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Pulsar PG2200 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the PG2200's weight is only 60 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The PG2200 and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Pulsar PG2200 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Pulsar PG2200 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 60 lbs, the Pulsar PG2200 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 66 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the PG2200 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.12 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (60 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (66 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.