Zoom on the Pulsar PG2200
In summary, the Pulsar PG2200 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2200's core is the 98 cc (3 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1600W and a peak wattage of 2200W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 66 dBA (less noisy than background music), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon, the PG2200 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Pulsar PG2200 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the PG2200's weight is only 60 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The control panel of the PG2200 includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Pulsar PG2200's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Pulsar PG2200 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG2200 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2200 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 60 lbs, the Pulsar PG2200 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 66 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- The PG2200 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 12 hours at 50% load. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.12 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Pulsar PG2200 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (60 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (66 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1600 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2200 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1270 W||1860 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1260 W||1260 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.