Zoom on the Pulsar PG2000
In summary, the Pulsar PG2000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2000 houses a 98 cc (3.5 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1400W along with a peak wattage of 2000W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than an office).
The fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon allows the PG2000 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Pulsar PG2000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The PG2000's dry weight of 57 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The PG2000 and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Pulsar PG2000, the following accessories are also included: oil and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG2000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2000 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 57 lbs, the Pulsar PG2000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1000 and 2000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the ECHO EGi-1200, standing at just 30 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 66 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the PG2000 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with around 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH, the Cat INV1250 is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (57 lbs)
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (66 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1110 W||1700 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.