Zoom on the Pulsar PG2000
In summary, the Pulsar PG2000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2000's core is the 98 cc (3.5 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1400W and a peak wattage of 2000W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 66 dBA (less noisy than an office).
The fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon allows the PG2000 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its dimensions of L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG2000 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 57 lbs, the PG2000 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The PG2000's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Pulsar PG2000 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and oil.
The Pulsar PG2000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- A weight of 57 lbs makes the Pulsar PG2000 one of the heavier devices in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i with only 20.3 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 66 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU1000i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 42 dBA.
- Since the PG2000 boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Ryobi RYi1000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Pulsar PG2000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (66 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (57 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.