Zoom on the Pulsar PG2000
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG2000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2000's design includes a gasoline-fueled 98 cc (3.5 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1400W and also a peak wattage of 2000W.
With a noise rating of 66 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon allows the PG2000 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG2000, which are L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 57 lbs, the PG2000 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The PG2000's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Pulsar PG2000's package also includes these accessories: tool kit and oil.
The Pulsar PG2000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As its dry weight is 57 pounds, the Pulsar PG2000 is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 500 to 1500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 66 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU1000i with only 42 dBA.
- With a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, the PG2000 has one of the highest run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Ryobi RYi1000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (66 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (57 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1080 W||1500 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.