Zoom on the Pulsar PG2000
In summary, the Pulsar PG2000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG2000's core is the 98 cc (3.5 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1400W and a peak wattage of 2000W.
With a noise rating of 66 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The PG2000 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Pulsar PG2000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.3 x W14.1 x H16.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The PG2000 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 57 lbs. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The PG2000's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Pulsar PG2000's package also includes these accessories: oil and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG2000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG2000 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- With its weight of 57 lbs, the Pulsar PG2000 is one of the heavier generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of only 20.3 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 66 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- Since the PG2000 boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as one of the devices with the highest run time among those of a comparable output.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Ryobi RYi1000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (66 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (57 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 14.1 x 16.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1080 W||1500 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.