Zoom on the Pulsar PG15KVTWB
In summary, the Pulsar PG15KVTWB is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Pulsar PG15KVTWB provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 12000W along with a peak wattage of 15000W. While propane-powered, it provides 11000 rated watts and 13500 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 77 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher), the generator is started via a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Regarding its running time, the PG15KVTWB, with a 10.6 gallons fuel capacity can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 1.06 GPH). When using propane, it can run for around 3 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.57 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 7 AC outlets:
While this Pulsar generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG15KVTWB is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Pulsar PG15KVTWB is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L39.5 x W26.5 x H32 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 380 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The generator comes with an additional safety feature, a lift hook on the top of its frame, which is helpful during its transport, loading and unloading.
The PG15KVTWB's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Pulsar PG15KVTWB, the following accessories are also included: funnel, propane hose and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG15KVTWB is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG15KVTWB versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG15KVTWB compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- As its dry weight is 380 pounds, the Pulsar PG15KVTWB is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 10000 to 14000 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, standing at just 218 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 77 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- The PG15KVTWB, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Powerhorse 13000ES, reaching around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 1.06 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.78 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the Pulsar PG15KVTWB is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Acceptable noise (77 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (380 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||713 cc Ducar 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12000 W||11000 W|
|Starting watts||15000 W||13500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||91.7/45.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps||112.5/56.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||3 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||10.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||39.5 x 26.5 x 32 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||77 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG15KVTWB is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9587 W||11062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||9590 W||10180 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9580 W||9580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.