Zoom on the Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 12,000W along with a peak wattage of 15,000W. While propane-powered, it provides 11,000 rated watts and 13,500 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 83 dBA (just slightly more noisy than garbage disposal), the generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the PG15KVTWBCO, along with its 10.6 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 9 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 1.18 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 3 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 1.57 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
While this Pulsar generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG15KVTWBCO is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO has the following dimensions: L34.3 x W23.2 x H28.9 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 348 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The generator comes with an additional safety feature, a lift hook on the top of its frame, which is helpful during its transport, loading and unloading.
The PG15KVTWBCO's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from Pulsar's CO Sentry carbon monoxide detection. The sensor monitors for the accumulation of poisonous carbon monoxide gas around the generator, and shuts down the engine is increasing levels of CO gas are detected.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO compare to dual fuel generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- With its weight of 348 lbs, the Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO is one of the heavier dual fuel generators in the 10000-14000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PG13000BRCO, with a dry weight of just 231 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 83 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the DuroMax XP16000iH. With just 67 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The PG15KVTWBCO, falls within the average autonomy range compared to dual fuel generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 9 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP15000HX, boasting with around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 1.18 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen12000DF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.95 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W dual fuel generators, the Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO Sentry technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- Decent run time
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (348 lbs)
- On the noisy side (83 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||713 cc Ducar 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12,000 W||11,000 W|
|Starting watts||15,000 W||13,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||91.7/45.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps||112.5/56.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9 h||3 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||10.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||34.3 x 23.2 x 28.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||83 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG15KVTWBCO is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9592 W||11092 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9580 W||9580 W|
Can this be hooked to my electrical panel (Asked June 04, 2021)
It absolutely can. Note that such connection should be done by a licensed electrician.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.