Zoom on the Pulsar PG15KVTW
In summary, the Pulsar PG15KVTW is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG15KVTW's engine, 713 cc (25 hp) Ducar 4-stroke V-Twin, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 12000W and reaches a peak wattage of 15000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 77 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanism is based on a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 10.6 gallons, the PG15KVTW can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.06 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Even though this Pulsar generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the PG15KVTW bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L39.5 x W26.5 x H32 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG15KVTW offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 352.7 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
The control panel of the PG15KVTW includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Pulsar PG15KVTW also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and funnel.
The Pulsar PG15KVTW is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG15KVTW versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG15KVTW compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- With its weight of 352.7 lbs, the Pulsar PG15KVTW is one of the heavier generators in the 10000-14000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of just 218 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 77 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI with only 69 dBA.
- The PG15KVTW, offering a run time of around 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 1.06 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.78 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the Pulsar PG15KVTW is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Acceptable noise (77 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (352.7 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||713 cc Ducar 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12000 W|
|Starting watts||15000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||10.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||39.5 x 26.5 x 32 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||77 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG15KVTW is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||9587 W||11062 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||9590 W||10180 W|
|For work||Electric welder||9000||9000|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||9580 W||9580 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.