Zoom on the Pulsar PG15KVTW
In summary, the Pulsar PG15KVTW is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- Prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG15KVTW's core is the 713 cc (25 hp) Ducar 4-stroke V-Twin engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 12000W and a peak wattage of 15000W.
With a noise rating of 77 dBA (less noisy than a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the PG15KVTW can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 1.06 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 10.6 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 7 AC outlets:
Even though this Pulsar generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PG15KVTW is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Pulsar PG15KVTW is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L40.6 x W28 x H33.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 352.7 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Never less, thanks to a wheel kit and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
In addition, the device is equipped with a lift hook on the top of its frame, which provides extra safety during the loading, unloading and transport of the generator.
The PG15KVTW's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included some oil in the PG15KVTW's packaging.
The Pulsar PG15KVTW is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG15KVTW versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG15KVTW compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 17500 W).
- At a dry weight of 352.7 pounds, the Pulsar PG15KVTW is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 10000 and 17500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI with only 218 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 77 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 69 dBA.
- Since the PG15KVTW boasts with a run time of around 10 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP12000 E, boasting with around 11.7 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 1.06 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.78 GPH, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 10000-17500W generators, the Pulsar PG15KVTW is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (77 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (352.7 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||713 cc Ducar 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12000 W|
|Starting watts||15000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Fuel tank||10.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||40.6 x 28 x 33.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||77 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG15KVTW is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.