Zoom on the Pulsar PG15KVTW
In summary, the Pulsar PG15KVTW is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG15KVTW's build contains a gasoline-fueled 713 cc (25 hp) Ducar 4-stroke V-Twin engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 12000W and also a peak wattage of 15000W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 77 dBA (less noisy than a shower).
With a fuel capacity of 10.6 gallons, the PG15KVTW may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.06 GPH).
The control panel features the following 7 AC outlets:
This Pulsar generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the PG15KVTW is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The design of the Pulsar PG15KVTW is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L40.6 x W28 x H33.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 352.7 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A lift hook, which is on the top of the frame, serves as an extra safety feature for the transport, unloading and loading of the device.
The PG15KVTW's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included some oil in the PG15KVTW's packaging.
The Pulsar PG15KVTW is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar PG15KVTW versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG15KVTW compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 17500 W).
- With its weight of 352.7 lbs, the Pulsar PG15KVTW is one of the heavier generators in the 10000-17500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of only 218 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 77 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI with only 69 dBA.
- The PG15KVTW provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching 10 hours at 50% load. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP12000 E, which is able to run for 11.7 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 1.06 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.78 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 10000-17500W generators, the Pulsar PG15KVTW is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (77 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (352.7 lbs)
Where to buy the Pulsar PG15KVTW?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||713 cc Ducar 4-stroke V-Twin|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||12000 W|
|Starting watts||15000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||125/62.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|Fuel tank||10.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||40.6 x 28 x 33.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||77 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG15KVTW is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.