Zoom on the Pulsar PG1202S
In summary, the Pulsar PG1202S is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG1202S's engine, 72 cc (2.2 hp) Ducar 2-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 850W and reaches a peak wattage of 1200W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office).
With a full tank, the PG1202S can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its dimensions of L14.6 x W12.4 x H12.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG1202S offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the PG1202S weighs just 37.5 lbs. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle, as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Good to know: This unit ranks 4th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
A light indicator serves to show you when the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG1202S also comes with some accessories: tool kit and battery charging cables are included.
The Pulsar PG1202S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Pulsar PG1202S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG1202S compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Pulsar PG1202S only weighs in at 37.5 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 65 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- Given that the PG1202S reaches an autonomy of around 8.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Pulsar PG1202S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (37.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc Ducar 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||850 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||7.1 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14.6 x 12.4 x 12.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG1202S is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||660 W||1110 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||600 W||600 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.