Zoom on the Pulsar PG1202S
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG1202S is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG1202S is powered by a 72 cc (2.2 hp) Ducar 2-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 850W as well as a peak wattage of 1200W.
At a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator offers the possibility to start the device via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the PG1202S may run for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG1202S, which are L14.6 x W12.4 x H12.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With the weight of only 37.5 lbs, the PG1202S may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle, further improving its convenience.
A light indicator allows you to instantly see if the generator is ready.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Pulsar PG1202S, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables and tool kit.
The Pulsar PG1202S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The Pulsar PG1202S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG1202S compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Pulsar PG1202S only weighs in at 37.5 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 65 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- Offering 8.5 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the PG1202S is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2000, boasting with 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Ryobi RYi1000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Pulsar PG1202S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (37.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
Where to buy the Pulsar PG1202S?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc Ducar 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||850 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||7.1 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||14.6 x 12.4 x 12.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG1202S is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.