Zoom on the Pulsar PG1202S
In summary, the Pulsar PG1202S is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG1202S houses a 72 cc (2.2 hp) Ducar 2-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 850W along with a peak wattage of 1,200W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation).
With a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the PG1202S may run for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Pulsar PG1202S has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L14.6 x W12.4 x H12.4 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a weight of only 37.5 lbs, the PG1202S may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 3rd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
When the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Pulsar PG1202S also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Pulsar PG1202S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
The Pulsar PG1202S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG1202S compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- At a weight of 37.5 pounds, the Pulsar PG1202S places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of only 20.3 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 65 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- Given that the PG1202S reaches an autonomy of around 8.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, boasting with around 11 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Pulsar PG1202S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (37.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc Ducar 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||850 W|
|Starting watts||1,200 W|
|Running amps||7.1 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14.6 x 12.4 x 12.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||PG1202SA|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG1202S is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||660 W||1110 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||600 W||600 W|
How many amps does the 12v output. (Asked May 08, 2023)
The 12V output provides a current of up to 8A.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.