Zoom on the Pulsar PG1202S
In summary, the Pulsar PG1202S is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG1202S houses a 72 cc (2.2 hp) Ducar 2-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 850W along with a peak wattage of 1,200W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The PG1202S can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The dimensions of the Pulsar PG1202S, which are L14.6 x W12.4 x H12.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a weight of only 37.5 lbs, the PG1202S may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 3rd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
When the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG1202S also comes with some accessories: battery charging cables and tool kit are included.
The Pulsar PG1202S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Pulsar PG1202S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG1202S compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Pulsar PG1202S weighs just 37.5 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 500 to 1500 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 65 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU1000i with only 42 dBA.
- Offering around 8.5 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the PG1202S is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, boasting with around 11 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Ryobi RYi1000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Pulsar PG1202S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (37.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc Ducar 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||850 W|
|Starting watts||1,200 W|
|Running amps||7.1 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14.6 x 12.4 x 12.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||PG1202SA|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG1202S is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||660 W||1110 W|
|For work||Paint sprayer||600||600|
|Total||600 W||600 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.