Zoom on the Pulsar PG1202S
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG1202S is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG1202S is powered by a 72 cc (2.2 hp) Ducar 2-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 850W as well as a peak wattage of 1200W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the PG1202S may run for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Pulsar PG1202S has the following dimensions: L14.6 x W12.4 x H12.4 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
With a weight of only 37.5 lbs, the PG1202S may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 4th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
When the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Pulsar PG1202S, the following accessories are also included: tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Pulsar PG1202S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Pulsar PG1202S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG1202S compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Pulsar PG1202S has only 37.5 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 500 to 1500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 65 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU1000i with only 42 dBA.
- The PG1202S, offering a run time of around 8.5 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, reaching around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. As this generator uses an estimated 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Ryobi RYi1000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Pulsar PG1202S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (37.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
Features and Specifications
|Engine||72 cc Ducar 2-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||850 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||7.1 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||14.6 x 12.4 x 12.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG1202S is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||660 W||1110 W|
|Total||600 W||900 W|
Does the Pulsar 1202S require additional grounding, via a grounding rod etc? If so, what is the best way to attach the grounding wire? (Asked March 15, 2021)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.