Zoom on the Pulsar PG1202S
In a nutshell, the Pulsar PG1202S is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG1202S is powered by a 72 cc (2.2 hp) Ducar 2-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 850W as well as a peak wattage of 1,200W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallon, the PG1202S may run for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The Pulsar PG1202S has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L14.6 x W12.4 x H12.4 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
With a weight of only 37.5 lbs, the PG1202S may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle that allows you to carry it with ease.
Good to know: This unit ranks 3rd in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
A light indicator allows you to instantly see if the generator is ready.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Pulsar PG1202S also comes with some accessories: tool kit and battery charging cables are included.
The Pulsar PG1202S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The Pulsar PG1202S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG1202S compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- With a dry weight of 37.5 pounds, the Pulsar PG1202S finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 500 and 1500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of only 20.3 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 65 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU1000i with only 42 dBA.
- The PG1202S, offering a run time of around 8.5 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Sportsman GEN2000-SS, which is able to run for around 11 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.09 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Pulsar PG1202S is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (37.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Gas/oil mix required (2-cycle engine)
- No spark arrestor
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (65 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|72 cc Ducar 2-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|1x 12V 8A receptacle
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|14.6 x 12.4 x 12.4 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Tool kit and battery charging cables
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG1202S is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
How many amps does the 12v output. (Asked May 08, 2023)
The 12V output provides a current of up to 8A.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.