Zoom on the Pulsar PG10000B16
In summary, the Pulsar PG10000B16 is a portable generator especially useful for food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Pulsar PG10000B16 provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 8000W along with a peak wattage of 10000W. While propane-powered, it provides 7000 rated watts and 9000 starting watts.
Pulsar’s patented Switch & Go technology allows you to switch from propane to gasoline or from gasoline to propane while the generator is running.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher).
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the PG10000B16 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH), or for around 9 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.52 GPH) using propane.
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.As the PG10000B16 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Pulsar PG10000B16 has the following dimensions: L28.5 x W21.8 x H23 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 209 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The PG10000B16's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a propane hose in the PG10000B16's packaging.
The Pulsar PG10000B16 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG10000B16 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG10000B16 compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 209 lbs, the Pulsar PG10000B16 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7500 to 8500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, with a dry weight of just 185 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 76 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Powermate DF7500E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 68 dBA.
- As the PG10000B16 features an autonomy of 12 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WPro8500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Pulsar PG10000B16 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Switch & Go technology
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (209 lbs)
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
Where to buy the Pulsar PG10000B16?
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8000 W||7000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||9 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28.5 x 21.8 x 23 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG10000B16 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.