Zoom on the Pulsar PG10000
In summary, the Pulsar PG10000 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
Power & Run Time
The Pulsar PG10000's build contains a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (15 hp) Ducar OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 8000W and also a peak wattage of 10000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 77 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the PG10000 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH).
The control panel features the following 7 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Pulsar generator is RV Ready. In addition, as the PG10000 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28.5 x W21.8 x H22.2 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar PG10000 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 204 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Never less, thanks to a wheel kit and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The control panel of the PG10000 includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Pulsar also included a battery charger in the PG10000's packaging.
The Pulsar PG10000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Pulsar PG10000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar PG10000 compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 204 lbs, the Pulsar PG10000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL with only 185 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 77 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Powermate DF7500E. With just 68 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- With a run time of 12 hours at 50% load, the PG10000 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WPro8500. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Pulsar PG10000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (204 lbs)
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (77 dBA)
Where to buy the Pulsar PG10000?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (14-50R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||28.5 x 21.8 x 22.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||77 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery charger|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar PG10000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.