Zoom on the Pulsar G12KBN
In a nutshell, the Pulsar G12KBN is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage.
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Pulsar G12KBN delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 9500W and a peak wattage of 12000W. When propane-powered, it has 8550 rated watts and 10800 peak watts.
The generator is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The G12KBN, with a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, reaches a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) with propane.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
As the G12KBN holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L28.5 x W21 x H22 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Pulsar G12KBN offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 209 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The G12KBN and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Pulsar G12KBN also comes with some accessories: propane hose, tool kit and funnel are included.
The Pulsar G12KBN is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Pulsar G12KBN versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar G12KBN compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Pulsar G12KBN only weighs in at 209 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 9000-10000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Rainier R12000DF, standing at just 196 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 76 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA12000ED. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the G12KBN boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Rainier R12000DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the Pulsar G12KBN is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (209 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||90/45 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.5 x 21 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||G12KBN-SG|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar G12KBN is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7572 W||9047 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Pressure washer (1 hp)||1200||3600|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
How much oil does the oil tank hold on the G12KBN portable generator? (Asked September 24, 2020)
Engine oil capacity is 38 fl. oz.
Can it be converted to be UN on natural gas? (Asked November 20, 2020)
There are no official conversion kits. We do not recommend such modification, since you'd most likely void your warranty.
Is it ok to run electronics like tv and computers and cell phones! (Asked December 16, 2020)
The THD of this unit can get above 5% at anytime, which makes it unsuitable for sensitive electronics.
What is the brand of engine manufacturer for the Pulsar G12KBN ? Thanks. (Asked January 13, 2021)
The engine is manufactured by Ducar.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.