Zoom on the Pulsar G12KBN
In a nutshell, the Pulsar G12KBN is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards prudent homeowners who want a backup power source in case of a power outage.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Pulsar G12KBN allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 9500W and a starting wattage of 12000W. If propane-powered, it gives 8550 rated watts and 10800 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the G12KBN can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.67 GPH), or for around 5 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.94 GPH) using propane.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the G12KBN is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Pulsar G12KBN, which are L28.5 x W21.8 x H22.2 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 209 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The G12KBN's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Pulsar G12KBN, the following accessories are also included: propane hose, tool kit and funnel.
The Pulsar G12KBN is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Pulsar G12KBN versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Pulsar G12KBN compare to generators of similar power (between 9000 and 10000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Pulsar G12KBN has only 209 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 9000 to 10000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of just 196 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 74 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA12000ED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- Since the G12KBN boasts with a run time of around 12 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.67 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen9500DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 9000-10000W generators, the Pulsar G12KBN is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (209 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||457 cc Ducar OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||9500 W||8550 W|
|Starting watts||12000 W||10800 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||79.2/39.6 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||100/50 amps||90/45 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||28.5 x 21.8 x 22.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||G12KBN-SG|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
Pulsar is a brand registered under the Pulsar Products inc., based in California, USA. The company offers a decent choice of air compressors, pressure washers and of course, generators – which range from 1,2 kW to 10 kW and include dual fuel and RV-Ready designs. Pulsar has several facilities scattered throughout the US, including two distribution centers – one in California and second in Illinois. However, the production of their products seems to be outsourced overseas, to the continent of Asia.
The Pulsar G12KBN is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Pulsar generators, please contact the Pulsar Customer Support: 1-866-591-8921.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7567 W||9067 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||7595 W||8185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||7340 W||11840 W|
How much oil does the oil tank hold on the G12KBN portable generator? (Asked September 24, 2020)
Engine oil capacity is 38 fl. oz.
Can it be converted to be UN on natural gas? (Asked November 20, 2020)
There are no official conversion kits. We do not recommend such modification, since you'd most likely void your warranty.
Is it ok to run electronics like tv and computers and cell phones! (Asked December 16, 2020)
The THD of this unit can get above 5% at anytime, which makes it unsuitable for sensitive electronics.
What is the brand of engine manufacturer for the Pulsar G12KBN ? Thanks. (Asked January 13, 2021)
The engine is manufactured by Ducar.
Which source do you normally power your home with the 50 amp or the 30 amp. Very confusing. (Asked May 01, 2021)
It depends if your transfer switch is 30 or 50-amp.
can 2 be paralleled? For a whole house system? (Asked June 15, 2021)
The unit is not parallel capable. You may find a list of generators with parallel capability here.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.