Zoom on the Predator 8750
In summary, the Predator 8750 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 8750 is powered by a 420 cc (13 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7000W as well as a peak wattage of 8750W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
The 8750 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.55 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this Predator generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 8750 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Predator 8750 has the following dimensions: L26.9 x W22 x H22.8 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 183 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. The additional purchase of a wheel kit for this generator, like this one (opens in a new tab), can therefore be a good idea, if you wish to benefit from a greater mobility.
A light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Predator 8750 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Predator 8750 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Predator 8750 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 8750 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Predator 8750 only weighs in at 183 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 76 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powerhorse 7500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 55 dBA.
- As the 8750 features an autonomy of around 12 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Generac XC6500, boasting with around 14 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the Predator 8750 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (183 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.9 x 22 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||63087|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 8750 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5595 W||6185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
Will it handle a 8000 BTU A/C / 21 CU Refrigerator / 2 - 60 watt lamps / 50 in LED TV...? (Asked April 02, 2020)
It should handle all these without any problems. However, we'd recommend giving a call to Harbor Freight to ensure that the power is clean enough to power sensitive electronics.
Where to buy a conversion kit to natural gas? (Asked June 21, 2020)
There are no official conversion kits. We do not recommend third party solutions as they could void your warranty and put you in violation of federal emission laws.
How much oil and what weight oil (Asked August 04, 2020)
Oil should be SAE 10W-30 above 32°F, SAE 5W-30 at 32°F or below. Engine oil capacity is 1.16 qt.
How do I purchase a carburetor for predator 8750 (Asked August 29, 2020)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Harbor Freight: 1-800-444-3353
Is this generator electric start (Asked March 02, 2021)
This generator does have an electric start. Note that it requires a battery, which is not included with the unit.
Where can I purchase a handle for moving this generator (Asked July 23, 2021)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.