Zoom on the Predator 8750
In a nutshell, the Predator 8750 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
Power & Run Time
The Predator 8750's core is the 420 cc (13 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7000W and a peak wattage of 8750W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 76 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the 8750 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.55 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this Predator generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 8750 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Predator 8750 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.9 x W22 x H22.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 183 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable).
A light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Predator 8750 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The Predator 8750 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Predator 8750 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 8750 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Predator 8750 weighs just 183 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 6500 to 7500 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 76 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powerhorse 7500i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 55 dBA.
- As the 8750 features an autonomy of around 12 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, which is able to run for around 14 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.55 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (183 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- On the noisy side (76 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.9 x 22 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||76 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||63087,|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 8750 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5595 W||6185 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
Will it handle a 8000 BTU A/C / 21 CU Refrigerator / 2 - 60 watt lamps / 50 in LED TV...? (Asked April 02, 2020)
It should handle all these without any problems. However, we'd recommend giving a call to Harbor Freight to ensure that the power is clean enough to power sensitive electronics.
Where to buy a conversion kit to natural gas? (Asked June 21, 2020)
There are no official conversion kits. We do not recommend third party solutions as they could void your warranty and put you in violation of federal emission laws.
How much oil and what weight oil (Asked August 04, 2020)
Oil should be SAE 10W-30 above 32°F, SAE 5W-30 at 32°F or below. Engine oil capacity is 1.16 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.