Zoom on the Predator 8750
In a nutshell, the Predator 8750 is a powerful portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 8750 is powered by a 420 cc (12 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7,000W as well as a peak wattage of 8,750W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
The 8750 can operate for up to 15 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 5.9 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 8750 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 10A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Because the 8750 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The conventional, open frame design of the Predator 8750 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 151 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its set of wheels (⌀10") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The 8750 and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Predator 8750's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit and funnel.
The Predator 8750 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Predator 8750 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 8750 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- As for its weight, the Predator 8750 weighs only 151 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 75 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Powerhorse 7500i with only 55 dBA.
- As the 8750 offers up to 15 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP8500EH, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.39 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the DuroMax XP7500DX, with a fuel consumption of 0.29 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 6500-7500W inverter generators, the Predator 8750 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (151 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (75 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|420 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
1x 12V 10A receptacle
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|Noise (lower limit)
|CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 8750 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Air compressor (1 hp)
Does the predator 8750 inverter generator still ship with shipping brackets? (Asked May 18, 2021)
Yes, shipping brackets are installed between the engine and the frame to protect the unit during shipping.
Can you parallel 2-8750 inverter generators. For a 50 amp plug? (Asked October 12, 2021)
The unit does not feature parallel ports.
I need replacement parts for the predator 8750...I need the on /off start switch asap (Asked February 17, 2023)
Replacement parts can be ordered directly from Harbor Freight: 1-800-444-3353.
Does it have pull start? And what if the pull start pulley system brakes where would I get another one from? (Asked October 25, 2023)
The unit has both a recoil and electric start. Replacement parts can be ordered from Harbor Freight.
Is the 240 volt receptacle gfci protected (Asked February 10, 2024)
Only the 5-20R outlets are GFCI protected.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.