Zoom on the Predator 8750
In a nutshell, the Predator 8750 is a powerful portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 8750 is powered by a 420 cc (12 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7000W as well as a peak wattage of 8750W.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
The 8750 can operate for up to 15 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 5.9 gallons.
The 8750 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 3 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 10A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
As the 8750 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 151 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The 8750's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Predator 8750's package also includes these accessories: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit.
The Predator 8750 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Predator 8750 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 8750 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- As for its weight, the Predator 8750 weighs only 151 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 75 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Powerhorse 7500i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 55 dBA.
- Given that the 8750 reaches an autonomy of up to 15 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Powerhorse 7500i, as it provides up to 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.39 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.35 GPH, the Energizer eZV8000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the Predator 8750 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (151 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (75 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Weak warranty
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7000 W|
|Starting watts||8750 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||72.9/36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||15 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A) |
1x 12V 10A receptacle
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||5.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||Unknown|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||57480|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 8750 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5595 W||7095 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||5590 W||6180 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4210 W||8710 W|
Does the predator 8750 inverter generator still ship with shipping brackets? (Asked May 18, 2021)
Yes, shipping brackets are installed between the engine and the frame to protect the unit during shipping.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.