Zoom on the Predator 6500
In a nutshell, the Predator 6500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 6500's design includes a gasoline-fueled 301 cc (8 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5500W and also a peak wattage of 6500W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the 6500 can operate for around 14.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.55 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
As the 6500 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L26.9 x W22 x H22.8 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Predator 6500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 161 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to a wheel kit (separate purchase from Harbor Freight or Amazon), the generator can be easily moved, once placed on the ground.
A light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Predator 6500's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly. A storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
The Predator 6500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Predator 6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Predator 6500 only weighs in at 161 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN6000 with only 119 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 14.5 hours at 50% load, the 6500 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Predator 6500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (161 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Wheel kit not included
- Weak warranty
Features and Specifications
|Engine||301 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.9 x 22 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4397 W||5897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
How can I attach a 12V battery to this generator? (Asked September 05, 2020)
Since this unit does not have an electric start, there are no reasons to attach a 12V battery to it.
Does the 6500 need to be grounded? (Asked October 28, 2020)
It is always safer to ground your generator.
how to get a wiring diagram (Asked April 15, 2021)
Wiring diagrams may be obtained by contacting Harbor Freight: 1-800-444-3353.
Can you make the predator 6500 w generator with an electric start having electric start (Asked April 16, 2021)
The 301cc engine of the Predator 6500 is not electric start capable.
Can you run a desk top computer with this generator (Asked April 22, 2021)
The unit is not suitable to power sensitive electronic equipment.
What kind of spark plug does it take (Asked April 23, 2021)
Spark plug is NHSP® / Torch® F6TC
What is the max AMP capacity of this unit? (Asked June 17, 2021)
120V: 54.2 starting amps. 240V: 27.1 starting amps.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.