Zoom on the Predator 6500
In summary, the Predator 6500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 6500 is powered by a 301 cc (8 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5500W as well as a peak wattage of 6500W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 6500 can operate for around 14.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.55 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the 6500 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the Predator 6500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L26.9 x W22 x H22.8 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 161 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to a wheel kit (separate purchase from Harbor Freight or Amazon), the generator can be easily moved, once placed on the ground.
A light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Predator 6500 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started. A storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
The Predator 6500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Predator 6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As for its weight, the Predator 6500 weighs only 161 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN6000 with only 119 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the 6500 boasts with a run time of around 14.5 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.55 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300v. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.35 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Predator 6500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (161 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Wheel kit not included
- Weak warranty
Features and Specifications
|Engine||301 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.9 x 22 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4397 W||5897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
How can I attach a 12V battery to this generator? (Asked September 05, 2020)
Since this unit does not have an electric start, there are no reasons to attach a 12V battery to it.
Does the 6500 need to be grounded? (Asked October 28, 2020)
It is always safer to ground your generator.
how to get a wiring diagram (Asked April 15, 2021)
Wiring diagrams may be obtained by contacting Harbor Freight: 1-800-444-3353.
Can you make the predator 6500 w generator with an electric start having electric start (Asked April 16, 2021)
The 301cc engine of the Predator 6500 is not electric start capable.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.