Zoom on the Predator 6500
In summary, the Predator 6500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 6500's core is the 301 cc (8 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5500W and a peak wattage of 6500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 6500 can operate for around 14.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.55 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the 6500 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the Predator 6500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L26.9 x W22 x H22.8 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 161 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (separate purchase from Harbor Freight or Amazon) can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Predator 6500 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away. A storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
The Predator 6500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Predator 6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As for its weight, the Predator 6500 weighs only 161 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN6000, standing at just 119 lbs.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 74 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- The 6500 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 14.5 hours at 50% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.55 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5300v, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Predator 6500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (161 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Wheel kit not included
- Weak warranty
Features and Specifications
|Engine||301 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.9 x 22 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
How can I attach a 12V battery to this generator? (Asked September 05, 2020)
Since this unit does not have an electric start, there are no reasons to attach a 12V battery to it.
Does the 6500 need to be grounded? (Asked October 28, 2020)
It is always safer to ground your generator.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.