Zoom on the Predator 6500
In a nutshell, the Predator 6500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 6500's engine, 301 cc (8 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5500W and reaches a peak wattage of 6500W.
With a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 6500 can operate for around 14.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.55 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
As the 6500 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Predator 6500, which are L26.9 x W22 x H22.8 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 161 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (separate purchase), with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
The device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Predator 6500 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual, helping you start the device right away.
The Predator 6500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Predator 6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Predator 6500 only weighs in at 161 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 5000-6000 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 100519, standing at just 121 lbs.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 14.5 hours at 50% load, the 6500 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.44 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5500 is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Predator 6500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Lightweight for its kind (161 lbs)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Wheel kit not included
Features and Specifications
|Engine||301 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||26.9 x 22 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The Predator 6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.