Zoom on the Predator 6500
In summary, the Predator 6500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 6500 is powered by a 301 cc (8 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5500W as well as a peak wattage of 6500W.
At a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 6500 can operate for around 14.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.55 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Because the 6500 is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L26.9 x W22 x H22.8 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Predator 6500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 161 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (separate purchase) can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Predator 6500 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Predator 6500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Predator 6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Predator 6500 weighs just 161 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 5000 to 6000 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v with only 107 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 74 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As the 6500 features an autonomy of around 14.5 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, as it provides around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.55 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300v, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (161 lbs)
- High run time
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Wheel kit not included
Features and Specifications
|Engine||301 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.9 x 22 x 22.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4397 W||5497 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.