Zoom on the Predator 5000
In summary, the Predator 5000 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Predator 5000 delivers 120V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 3,900W and a peak wattage of 5,000W. When propane-powered, it has 3,600 rated watts and 5,000 peak watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 60.5 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the 5000 can be remotely started (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons, the 5000 can operate for up to 18.2 hours using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH), or for up to 14.6 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.32 GPH) using propane.
The 5000 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 3 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (1 x USB-A and 1 x USB-C) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently and a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Predator generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The Predator 5000 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L25 x W18 x H20.8 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 110 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 4 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the 5000 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the power output, voltage and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Predator 5000, the following accessories are also included: key fob, tool kit, battery charging cables, 3 altitude kits, propane hose and funnel.
The Predator 5000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Predator 5000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 5000 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 110 lbs, the Predator 5000 belongs in the expected weight range for inverter generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 60.5 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar type and power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The 5000, falls within the average autonomy range compared to inverter generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 18.2 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Firman W03661OF, reaching up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Predator 5000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- USB-C port
- RV Ready
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (110 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (60.5 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Weak warranty
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||224 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,900 W||3,600 W|
|Starting watts||5,000 W||5,000 W|
|Running amps||32.5 amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||41.7 amps||41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||18.2 h||14.6 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A and USB-C) |
1x 12V 8A receptacle
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 18 x 20.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60.5 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, propane hose, battery charging cables, 3 altitude kits, and battery|
|Other model numbers||70143|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 5000 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||3100 W||3800 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||3110 W||3700 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2130 W||4830 W|
The dual fuel predator 5000 how much oil does it hold to fill it up properly (Asked September 02, 2023)
Engine oil capacity is 0.64 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.