ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 23
Zoom on the Predator 4550
In summary, the Predator 4550 is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4550's engine, 223 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,650W and reaches a peak wattage of 4,550W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 64.6 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.72 gallons, the 4550 can operate for up to 16.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.23 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 4550 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This Predator generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The Predator 4550 has a conventional, open frame design, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 4550's dry weight of 77 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) can be bought separately, if you need additional help in transporting this unit.
The light indicators show you if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Predator 4550 also comes with some accessories: RV adapter, funnel and tool kit are included.
The Predator 4550 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Predator 4550 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4550 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As for its weight, the Predator 4550 weighs only 77 pounds, making it one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest noise of 64.6 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- As the 4550 offers up to 16.1 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, which is able to run for up to 25 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.23 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Predator 4550 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (77 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (64.6 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,650 W|
|Starting watts||4,550 W|
|Running amps||30.4 amps|
|Peak amps||37.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.72 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||Unknown|
|Noise (lower limit)||64.6 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and RV adapter|
|Other model numbers||59304|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4550 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2917 W||3917 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2915 W||3505 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||1800 W||4500 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
I’ve had the Predator 4550 for over a year now. I still consider this unit quiet. I use it for boondock camping.
The generator is easy to service, Very Powerful and I love the fuel capacity. The pull start is very easy, with the choke pulled the unit fires with one or two pulls. I also like the run time.
I previously owned a predator 3500 which was less noisy. That is a great unit as well. I compared the two units and ended up selling my 3500.
With my 4550 it was nearly a 30 amp constant work load (29.8). Basically I can run more things in my trailer at once compared to my 3500. Biggest plus is the larger fuel tank. I can fit nearly 4 gallons if i fill it to the rim.
I love the longer run times and less weight. I am totally satisfied with the predator 4550! The price isnt bad either.
After buying and assembling the unit (4550) complete with wheels I started it and ran for an hour or so with no difficulty. A few weeks later I attempted to start it again and failed. I read all directions completely but still no luck. About two weeks later I did start and again it ran well for a while. Now that winter has arrived I thought I should give it another trial run. No luck. The damn thing would not start. Calling the company didn’t help a bit. I purchased from Harbor Freight and they are no help. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE A PREDATOR 4550 GENERATOR. It has caused me only grief and I haven’t even used it other than those two trials.
I’m really an anti-China consumer; but, there is nothing else available to date. I bought the Predator 4550 as a an interim solution. I’ll just have to wait for Honda to fill the gaps in this Amperage range. Pros: This Predator model has; a great price point, is moderately quiet, and easy to start. It simultaneously runs my 15000BTU AC, 1500W convection/micro, and coffee pot. Cons: It’s China and the longevity is up for grabs, no hour meter, no oil filter, and you have to purchase the weel kit extra.
Max amps are 23 amps and will not start a 15K RV A/C. Exchanged for a welder so not to pay the 20% restocking fee.