Zoom on the Predator 4550
In a nutshell, the Predator 4550 is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4550 houses a 223 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,650W along with a peak wattage of 4,550W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 64.6 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.72 gallons allows the 4550 to operate for up to 16.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.23 GPH).
As the 4550 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This Predator generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included). However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The conventional, open frame design of the Predator 4550 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 77 lbs of the 4550's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) can be bought separately, if you need additional help in transporting this unit.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Predator 4550's package also includes these accessories: funnel, tool kit and RV adapter.
The Predator 4550 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Predator 4550 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4550 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Predator 4550 only weighs in at 77 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM4600iAEFIC with only 58.4 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 64.6 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- Given that the 4550 reaches an autonomy of up to 16.1 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Firman W03661OF, reaching up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.23 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Champion 200988, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.16 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 3500-4500W inverter generators, the Predator 4550 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (77 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (64.6 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|223 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|Noise (lower limit)
|CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Funnel, tool kit, and RV adapter
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4550 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Cell phone charger
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Cell phone charger
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.