Zoom on the Predator 4400
In a nutshell, the Predator 4400 is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4400's design includes a gasoline-fueled 223 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4400W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 67 dBA (less noisy than background music).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons, the 4400 can operate for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
The 4400 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Predator generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The Predator 4400 has a conventional, open frame design, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 4400's dry weight of 77 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
It is also possible to purchase the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) to help you transport this unit more easily.
When its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Predator 4400, the following accessories are also included: funnel, tool kit and RV adapter.
The Predator 4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Predator 4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4400 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Predator 4400 has only 77 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Because this inverter generator emits noise as low as 67 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cat INV4000E with only 51 dBA.
- The 4400, offering a run time of up to 16 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3500P is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Predator 4400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (77 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (67 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||36.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||Unknown|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and RV adapter|
|Other model numbers||58067|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Is it normal for the gas tank to smell as if had gasoline in it when it’s brand new? (Asked April 26, 2021)
Unit may have been factory tested.
Which wheel kit go's on the 4400 inverter? (Asked June 02, 2021)
The 10 in. wheel kit from Harbor Freight (opens in a new tab) fits this unit.
How much for the 4400/3500 (Asked July 23, 2021)
The unit retails for $599.99.
How do you adjust the CO2 sensor it’s too sensitive (Asked July 23, 2021)
The CO sensor should not be tampered with, and only be serviced by a qualified technician.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.