ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 16
This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Predator 4550. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Predator 4400
In summary, the Predator 4400 is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4400's engine, 223 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4,400W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons, the 4400 may run for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
As the 4400 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even though this Predator generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The conventional, open frame design of the Predator 4400 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the 4400's weight is only 77 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) can be bought separately, if you need additional help in transporting this unit.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Predator 4400 also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and RV adapter are included.
The Predator 4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Predator 4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4400 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As for its weight, the Predator 4400 weighs only 77 pounds, making it one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of just 46 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 67 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cat INV4000E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 51 dBA.
- Given that the 4400 reaches an autonomy of up to 16 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman W03661OF, boasting with up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3500P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (77 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,400 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||36.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||Unknown|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and RV adapter|
|Other model numbers||58067|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Is it normal for the gas tank to smell as if had gasoline in it when it’s brand new? (Asked April 26, 2021)
Unit may have been factory tested.
Which wheel kit go's on the 4400 inverter? (Asked June 02, 2021)
The 10 in. wheel kit from Harbor Freight (opens in a new tab) fits this unit.
How much for the 4400/3500 (Asked July 23, 2021)
The unit retails for $599.99.
How do you adjust the CO2 sensor it’s too sensitive (Asked July 23, 2021)
The CO sensor should not be tampered with, and only be serviced by a qualified technician.
I use my 4400 Predator exclusively for my car wash business. Runs my water pressure gun, air compressor my vac, and polisher with no problem at all. Only shut down for a gas refill. I love this generator for work purposes.
Will only run AC in 2011 elkridge RV fifth wheel very few other items can’t even use the converter in the RV when the microwave is running or vice versa can’t use the refrigerator if the converter is running it’s got to be on propane so to me this generator inverter is a piece of garbage I don’t know how harbor freight and even sell it especially when the motor quits working in less than 3 months it Has no compression and will not start to me this generator inverter is a piece of junk motor sucks
This has been a great little generator. It has powered my grand design reflection with no problem and that includes the a/c.
Like many others have found, it will NOT power a 13,500 BTU a/c even though it is advertised to do so. Bought for exclusive RV use. Have bigger unit for home use so this Predator is basically useless. H/F 20% restock fees suck even when products don’t do the job that they are advertised to do.
Big let down.it would not power 1500 watt Ac unit in my 2012 keystone camper. I borrowed one of my friends 4000 why generator and it had no problem whatsoever, After I ran it for a week because it was chilly the motor started to rattle and shake the whole housing in Rab open down in the exhaust muffler became Extremely loose and a few screws came out dropping the motor