This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Predator 4550. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Predator 4400
In a nutshell, the Predator 4400 is a portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4400's design includes a gasoline-fueled 223 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,500W and also a peak wattage of 4,400W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the 4400 can operate for up to 16 hours (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 4400 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Even though this Predator generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The Predator 4400 has a conventional, open frame design, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 4400 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 77 lbs. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
It is also possible to purchase the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab) to help you transport this unit more easily.
When its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The inverter generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Predator 4400 also comes with some accessories: RV adapter, funnel and tool kit are included.
The Predator 4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Predator 4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4400 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As for its weight, the Predator 4400 weighs only 77 pounds, making it one of the lighter inverter generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of just 46 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 67 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cat INV4000E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 51 dBA.
- Given that the 4400 reaches an autonomy of up to 16 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman W03661OF, boasting with up to 25 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3500P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (77 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,400 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||36.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||Unknown|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and RV adapter|
|Other model numbers||58067|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Is it normal for the gas tank to smell as if had gasoline in it when it’s brand new? (Asked April 26, 2021)
Unit may have been factory tested.
Which wheel kit go's on the 4400 inverter? (Asked June 02, 2021)
The 10 in. wheel kit from Harbor Freight (opens in a new tab) fits this unit.
How much for the 4400/3500 (Asked July 23, 2021)
The unit retails for $599.99.
How do you adjust the CO2 sensor it’s too sensitive (Asked July 23, 2021)
The CO sensor should not be tampered with, and only be serviced by a qualified technician.