Zoom on the Predator 4400
In summary, the Predator 4400 is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4400's design includes a gasoline-fueled 223 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4400W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 67 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
The 4400 can operate for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons.
As the 4400 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even though this Predator generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 4400's dry weight of 77 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Predator 4400, the following accessories are also included: RV adapter, tool kit and funnel.
The Predator 4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Predator 4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4400 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Predator 4400 stands at only 77 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 3000-4000 rated wattage category In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 67 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cat INV4000E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 51 dBA.
- Given that the 4400 reaches an autonomy of up to 16 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200954, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3500P is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Predator 4400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (77 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (67 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||223 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4400 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||36.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||16 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A and USB-C)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||3.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||Unknown|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and RV adapter|
|Other model numbers||58067|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||3787 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Is it normal for the gas tank to smell as if had gasoline in it when it’s brand new? (Asked April 26, 2021)
Unit may have been factory tested.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.