This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Predator 4550. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Predator 4400
In summary, the Predator 4400 is a portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4400 houses a 223 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,500W along with a peak wattage of 4,400W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
With a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than background music), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.2 gallons, the 4400 may run for up to 16 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.2 GPH).
The 4400 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Even if this Predator generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included), thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The design of the Predator 4400 is a typical, open frame, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 77 lbs, the 4400 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
If you wish to transport this unit more easily, you may also consider purchasing the official wheel kit (opens in a new tab).
When the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Predator 4400 also comes with several accessories, including: RV adapter, funnel and tool kit.
The Predator 4400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Predator 4400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4400 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Predator 4400 has only 77 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, weighing just 46 pounds.
- As this inverter generator has its lowest possible noise of 67 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- Offering up to 16 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the 4400 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman W03661OF, with up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.2 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3500P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- RV adapter included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (77 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|223 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x 5V USB port (USB-A)
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Funnel, tool kit, and RV adapter
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4400 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
|Cell phone charger
Is it normal for the gas tank to smell as if had gasoline in it when it’s brand new? (Asked April 26, 2021)
Unit may have been factory tested.
Which wheel kit go's on the 4400 inverter? (Asked June 02, 2021)
The 10 in. wheel kit from Harbor Freight (opens in a new tab) fits this unit.
How much for the 4400/3500 (Asked July 23, 2021)
The unit retails for $599.99.
How do you adjust the CO2 sensor it’s too sensitive (Asked July 23, 2021)
The CO sensor should not be tampered with, and only be serviced by a qualified technician.