Zoom on the Predator 4375
In summary, the Predator 4375 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4375's engine, 212 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4375W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 4375 can operate for around 16 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.25 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 4375 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Predator 4375 has the following dimensions: L23.3 x W18.7 x H19.3 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 103.5 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (separate purchase), with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
A light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Predator 4375 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The Predator 4375 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Predator 4375 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4375 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 103.5 lbs, the Predator 4375 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- With a run time of around 16 hours at 50% load, the 4375 has one of the highest run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.25 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Predator 4375 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (103.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Wheel kit not included
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||36.5/18.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||16 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 18.7 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4375 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4242 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Is there a drain plug for gas on the generator for long term storage? (Asked April 29, 2020)
It doesn't seem that there are any. I'd suggest to contact Harbor Freight to make sure.
Does this generator have an inverter? (Asked June 10, 2020)
This unit is not an inverter generator.
how do i change the oil (Asked August 21, 2020)
Oil change procedure is detailed page 17 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
What spark should I use and what is the gap setting (Asked August 23, 2020)
Spark plug type is NHSP/Torch F6TC. Gap setting is 0.027" – 0.031".
What kind of oil (Asked August 28, 2020)
Recommended engine oil is SAE 10W – 30 above 32° F, and SAE 5W – 30 at 32° F or below
What grade of gas? (Asked September 08, 2020)
Recommended gas is 87 octane or higher unleaded gasoline that has been treated with a fuel stabilizer additive.
Do you have to ground this generator predator 4375 (Asked September 08, 2020)
It is always safer to ground your generator.
Can I connect my RV 30 amp cord into the 120/240V 30A (L14-30R) receptacle? The panel says 15A max??? (Asked October 10, 2020)
You absolutely can. You just won't pull more than 15A amps out of it.
Can the 4375 be connected directly to the my homes' main panel box? (Asked October 17, 2020)
It can be connected to a transfer switch. Note that this connection should be made by a licensed electrician.
How much oil does the Predator 4375 hold? I cannot find that info anywhere. (Asked November 01, 2020)
Engine oil capacity is 0.6 quarts.
Does this model have carbon monoxide that automatically shuts off if level gets too high? If machine is placed 30ft from home with "exhaust" pointed away from home safe enough?can strong wind blow CO back to home at a dangerous level? As home health nurse,I had 2 patients,separate cases I had send to morgue,so I know danger! (Asked December 27, 2020)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.