Zoom on the Predator 4000
In a nutshell, the Predator 4000 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4000's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 3200W and also a peak wattage of 4000W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 4000 may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 4000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Predator 4000, which are L23.3 x W18.7 x H19.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 99.5 lbs, the 4000 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
To make this unit even more maneuverable, an extra wheel kit, such as this one (opens in a new tab), could be an excellent solution.
A light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Predator 4000 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Predator 4000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Predator 4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 99.5 pounds, the Predator 4000 finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of just 59.5 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- The 4000, offering a run time of around 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000X, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.4 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Predator 4000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (99.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3200 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||26.7/13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 18.7 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||63089|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||2550 W||3650 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2550 W||3800 W|
how, where to get repair parts? (Asked August 29, 2020)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Harbor Freight: 1-800-444-3353
What was the valve calibration setting for predator 4000? (Asked August 30, 2020)
Valve clearance settings are the following: intake 0.004″ – 0.006″, exhaust 0.004″ – 0.006″
What kinda oil does it use? (Asked November 01, 2020)
Recommended engine oil is SAE 10W – 30 above 32° F, and SAE 5W – 30 at 32° F or below
Do I have to ground it if I'm just running a couple house lights off of it? (Asked November 09, 2020)
It is always safer to ground your generator.
How to prepare the generator for long term storage? (Asked April 09, 2021)
You may want to refer to page 18 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.