This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
You might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Predator 4000
In a nutshell, the Predator 4000 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4000's core is the 212 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 3,200W and a peak wattage of 4,000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 4000 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 4000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Predator 4000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.3 x W18.7 x H19.3 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 4000 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 99.5 lbs. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
To make this unit even more maneuverable, an extra wheel kit, such as this one (opens in a new tab), could be an excellent solution.
A light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Predator 4000's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Predator 4000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Predator 4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 99.5 pounds, the Predator 4000 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of just 46 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- Given that the 4000 reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.4 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.22 GPH, the Pulsar PGD40iSCO is a device you could look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (99.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,200 W|
|Starting watts||4,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||26.7/13.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 18.7 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||63089|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2517 W||3992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2550 W||3800 W|
how, where to get repair parts? (Asked August 29, 2020)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Harbor Freight: 1-800-444-3353
What was the valve calibration setting for predator 4000? (Asked August 30, 2020)
Valve clearance settings are the following: intake 0.004″ – 0.006″, exhaust 0.004″ – 0.006″
What kinda oil does it use? (Asked November 01, 2020)
Recommended engine oil is SAE 10W – 30 above 32° F, and SAE 5W – 30 at 32° F or below
Do I have to ground it if I'm just running a couple house lights off of it? (Asked November 09, 2020)
It is always safer to ground your generator.
How to prepare the generator for long term storage? (Asked April 09, 2021)
You may want to refer to page 18 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
Can I run a 30 amp rv (Asked July 23, 2021)
The unit features an L14-30R outlet, but the outlet is behind a 15-amp breaker.
What spark plug does this generator use? (Asked January 17, 2022)
Spark plug should be Torch F6TC or equivalent.