Zoom on the Predator 4000
In a nutshell, the Predator 4000 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4000 is powered by a 212 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3200W as well as a peak wattage of 4000W.
With a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 4000 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 4000 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Predator 4000, which are L23.3 x W18.7 x H19.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 99.5 lbs of the 4000's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
It is also possible to purchase a wheel kit, such as this one (opens in a new tab), to help you transport this unit more easily.
A light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Predator 4000 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Predator 4000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Predator 4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 99.5 lbs, the Predator 4000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Generac GP3300i with only 59.5 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- The 4000, offering a run time of around 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.4 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Predator 4000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (99.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3200 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||26.7/13.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 18.7 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||63089|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2517 W||3992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2550 W||3800 W|
how, where to get repair parts? (Asked August 29, 2020)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Harbor Freight: 1-800-444-3353
What was the valve calibration setting for predator 4000? (Asked August 30, 2020)
Valve clearance settings are the following: intake 0.004″ – 0.006″, exhaust 0.004″ – 0.006″
What kinda oil does it use? (Asked November 01, 2020)
Recommended engine oil is SAE 10W – 30 above 32° F, and SAE 5W – 30 at 32° F or below
Do I have to ground it if I'm just running a couple house lights off of it? (Asked November 09, 2020)
It is always safer to ground your generator.
How to prepare the generator for long term storage? (Asked April 09, 2021)
You may want to refer to page 18 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
Can I run a 30 amp rv (Asked July 23, 2021)
The unit features an L14-30R outlet, but the outlet is behind a 15-amp breaker.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.