Zoom on the Predator 4000
In summary, the Predator 4000 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4000's engine, 212 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3200W and reaches a peak wattage of 4000W.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator offers the possibility to start the device via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 4000 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 4000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Predator 4000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L23.3 x W18.7 x H19.3 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the 4000's weight is only 99.5 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
A light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Predator 4000 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual needed to get you promptly started.
The Predator 4000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Predator 4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 99.5 pounds, the Predator 4000 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 72 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Given that the 4000 reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000, boasting with around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.4 GPH. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- The Predator 4000 doesn't have any specs that exceed those of other generators of its class.
- Decent weight (99.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3200 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||26.7/13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 18.7 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The Predator 4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.