Zoom on the Predator 4000
In a nutshell, the Predator 4000 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4000's engine, 212 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3200W and reaches a peak wattage of 4000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 4000 may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 4000 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Predator 4000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.3 x W18.7 x H19.3 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 99.5 lbs, the 4000 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and displaced.
The device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Predator 4000's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Predator 4000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Predator 4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 99.5 pounds, the Predator 4000 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 72 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- Offering 10 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the 4000 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, with 16 hours .
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.4 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (99.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3200 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||26.7/13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 18.7 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The Predator 4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.