Zoom on the Predator 4000
In a nutshell, the Predator 4000 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Predator 4000's engine, 212 cc (6.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3200W and reaches a peak wattage of 4000W.
At a noise rating of 72 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 4000 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 4000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Predator 4000 has the following dimensions: L23.3 x W18.7 x H19.3 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 4000's dry weight of 99.5 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
It is also possible to purchase a wheel kit, such as this one (opens in a new tab), to help you transport this unit more easily.
The device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Predator 4000 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Predator 4000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Predator 4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 99.5 pounds, the Predator 4000 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 72 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- As the 4000 offers around 10 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.4 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (99.5 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (72 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3200 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||26.7/13.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.3 x 18.7 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||72 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||63089|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2517 W||3992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2550 W||3800 W|
how, where to get repair parts? (Asked August 29, 2020)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Harbor Freight: 1-800-444-3353
What was the valve calibration setting for predator 4000? (Asked August 30, 2020)
Valve clearance settings are the following: intake 0.004″ – 0.006″, exhaust 0.004″ – 0.006″
What kinda oil does it use? (Asked November 01, 2020)
Recommended engine oil is SAE 10W – 30 above 32° F, and SAE 5W – 30 at 32° F or below
Do I have to ground it if I'm just running a couple house lights off of it? (Asked November 09, 2020)
It is always safer to ground your generator.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.