Zoom on the Predator 3500
In a nutshell, the Predator 3500 is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Predator 3500 houses a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3000W along with a peak wattage of 3500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The 3500 can operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.24 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 3500 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
While this Predator generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L22.8 x W17.3 x H20 in), the Predator 3500, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The 3500 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 99.2 lbs. Moreover, its set of 4 wheels and its double handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the 3500's control panel, gives you information on the voltage, lifetime run hours and power output, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Predator 3500 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit, RV adapter and battery charging cables. A storage cover is also available, as a separate purchase.
The Predator 3500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Predator 3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 3500 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 99.2 pounds, the Predator 3500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of only 59.5 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 57 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 11 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the 3500 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Champion 200954, reaching up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.24 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3200P is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Predator 3500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (57 dBA)
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- No remote start
- Weak warranty
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 17.3 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, RV adapter, battery charging cables, and battery|
|Other model numbers||63584|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2397 W||3397 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2390 W||2980 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Does the inverter charge the battery? (Asked April 10, 2020)
The unit will charge its own battery, while running.
Does the Predator 3500 have GPS tracking (Asked September 18, 2020)
The unit does not have such a feature.
are there remote starter kits available for model 63584 3500 watt portable inverter generator (Asked November 27, 2020)
There are no official remote start kits for this unit. However, you may find third-party ones.
Up to what altitude can the predator 3500 run (Asked February 26, 2021)
You'll probably need to rejet the unit above 5000 feet. Learn more on operating portable generators in high altitudes.
How many running hours before oil change is needed on the predator 3500 inverter (Asked April 10, 2021)
Oil shoud be changed once the breaking-in period is complete, then every 6 months or 100 hours of use, whichever comes first. Oil level should also be checked before each use. You may want to refer to the maintenance schedule located page 16 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
How do I clean the air filter on the predator 3500 inverter (Asked April 10, 2021)
For “paper” filter elements: In a well-ventilated area away from bystanders, use pressurized air to blow dust out of the air filter. Wear protective equipment to prevent injury from dust and debris.
For foam filter elements: Wash the element in warm water and mild detergent several times. Rinse. Squeeze out excess water and allow it to dry completely. Soak the filter in lightweight oil briefly, then squeeze out the excess oil.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.