-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 3
Zoom on the Predator 1800
In a nutshell, the Predator 1800 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 1800 is powered by a 98 cc (2.6 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1,400W as well as a peak wattage of 1,800W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the 1800 may run for around 9.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
With its dimensions of L18.4 x W14 x H16 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Predator 1800 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The 1800 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 60 lbs. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The 1800's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Predator 1800 also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables are included.
The Predator 1800 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Predator 1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- With its weight of 60 lbs, the Predator 1800 is one of the heavier generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM1200i, standing at just 25.3 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 69 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- With a run time of around 9.5 hours at 50% load, the 1800 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2200, boasting with around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Genmax GM1200i. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Predator 1800 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the heavy side (60 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,400 W|
|Starting watts||1,800 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peak amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.4 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||59187|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||792 W||1792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1110 W||1700 W|
|For work||Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||1080 W||1080 W|
Can it handle a fridge and small ac unit (Asked June 04, 2021)
The max output of this generator is 15 amps (1800 watts). Since wattage requirements vary depending on brands and models, it is not feasible to answer the question accurately without more specifics. Your first step should be to evaluate the actual running and starting watts of your appliances.
Is it water proof (Asked August 29, 2021)
The unit should be properly sheltered. We recommend reading our article on generator operation in bad weather.
Can it handle a 120V ~ 9A vacuum? (Asked June 28, 2022)
It should absolutely handle this vacuum. 120V*9A=1080W, which is below the 1400 running watts of the unit.
What spark plug does predator 1800 take? (Asked November 15, 2022)
Spark plug should be Torch E6RTC or equivalent.
How much oil do I put in after I drain it (Asked April 04, 2023)
Engine oil capacity is 0.5 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.