Zoom on the Predator 1800
In a nutshell, the Predator 1800 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 1800's engine, 98 cc (2.6 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1,400W and reaches a peak wattage of 1,800W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation).
The fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon allows the 1800 to operate for around 9.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Predator 1800 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.4 x W14 x H16 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The 1800's dry weight of 60 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The 1800's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Predator 1800 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Predator 1800 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The unit also meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Predator 1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- A weight of 60 lbs makes the Predator 1800 one of the heavier devices in the 1000-2000 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, with a dry weight of just 24 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 69 dBA can be judged as noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- As the 1800 features an autonomy of around 9.5 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2200, reaching around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PGD16iSCO. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.09 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Predator 1800 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the heavy side (60 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,400 W|
|Starting watts||1,800 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peak amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.4 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Compliance||CARB, EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||59187|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||792 W||1792 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1080 W||1500 W|
|For work||Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||1080 W||1080 W|
Can it handle a fridge and small ac unit (Asked June 04, 2021)
The max output of this generator is 15 amps (1800 watts). Since wattage requirements vary depending on brands and models, it is not feasible to answer the question accurately without more specifics. Your first step should be to evaluate the actual running and starting watts of your appliances.
Is it water proof (Asked August 29, 2021)
The unit should be properly sheltered. We recommend reading our article on generator operation in bad weather.
Can it handle a 120V ~ 9A vacuum? (Asked June 28, 2022)
It should absolutely handle this vacuum. 120V*9A=1080W, which is below the 1400 running watts of the unit.
What spark plug does predator 1800 take? (Asked November 15, 2022)
Spark plug should be Torch E6RTC or equivalent.
How much oil do I put in after I drain it (Asked April 04, 2023)
Engine oil capacity is 0.5 qt.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.