Zoom on the Predator 1800
In a nutshell, the Predator 1800 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Predator 1800's core is the 98 cc (2.6 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1400W and a peak wattage of 1800W.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the 1800 can operate for around 9.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The design of the Predator 1800 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L18.4 x W14 x H16 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the 1800's weight is only 60 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
The 1800's control center features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Predator 1800, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, tool kit and funnel.
The Predator 1800 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Predator 1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- At a dry weight of 60 pounds, the Predator 1800 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 1000 and 2000 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the ECHO EGi-1200 with only 30 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- The 1800, offering a run time of around 9.5 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with around 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Cat INV1250, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Predator 1800 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the heavy side (60 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||1800 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peak amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.4 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||57064|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||792 W||1792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1110 W||1700 W|
|For work||Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||1080 W||1080 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.