Zoom on the Predator 1800
In summary, the Predator 1800 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 1800's engine, 98 cc (2.6 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1400W and reaches a peak wattage of 1800W.
With a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the 1800 may run for around 9.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The dimensions of the Predator 1800, which are L18.4 x W14 x H16 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 1800's dry weight of 60 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The 1800's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Predator 1800, the following accessories are also included: funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Predator 1800 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Predator 1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 60 pounds, the Predator 1800 is one of the heavier generators producing between 1000 and 2000 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM1200i, weighing just 25.3 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- The 1800 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 9.5 hours at 50% load. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2200, boasting with around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Cat INV1250, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.1 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Predator 1800 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the heavy side (60 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||1800 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peak amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.4 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||57064|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||792 W||1792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1110 W||1700 W|
|For work||Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||1080 W||1080 W|
Can it handle a fridge and small ac unit (Asked June 04, 2021)
The max output of this generator is 15 amps (1800 watts). Since wattage requirements vary depending on brands and models, it is not feasible to answer the question accurately without more specifics. Your first step should be to evaluate the actual running and starting watts of your appliances.
Is it water proof (Asked August 29, 2021)
The unit should be properly sheltered. We recommend reading our article on generator operation in bad weather.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.