Zoom on the Predator 1800
In summary, the Predator 1800 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 1800's core is the 98 cc (2.6 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1,400W and a peak wattage of 1,800W.
At a noise rating of 69 dBA (less noisy than background music), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the 1800 may run for around 9.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The dimensions of the Predator 1800, which are L18.4 x W14 x H16 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 1800's dry weight of 60 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
The control panel of the 1800 includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Predator 1800 also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, tool kit and funnel.
The Predator 1800 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Predator 1800 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 1800 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- At a dry weight of 60 pounds, the Predator 1800 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 1000 and 2000 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM1200i, standing at just 25.3 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 69 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Since the 1800 boasts with a run time of around 9.5 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2200, reaching around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Predator 1800 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the heavy side (60 lbs)
- On the noisy side (69 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,400 W|
|Starting watts||1,800 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peak amps||15 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.4 x 14 x 16 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||69 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||57064|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 1800 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Harbor Freight's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||792 W||1792 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||1080 W||1500 W|
|For work||Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||1080 W||1080 W|
Can it handle a fridge and small ac unit (Asked June 04, 2021)
The max output of this generator is 15 amps (1800 watts). Since wattage requirements vary depending on brands and models, it is not feasible to answer the question accurately without more specifics. Your first step should be to evaluate the actual running and starting watts of your appliances.
Is it water proof (Asked August 29, 2021)
The unit should be properly sheltered. We recommend reading our article on generator operation in bad weather.
Can it handle a 120V ~ 9A vacuum? (Asked June 28, 2022)
It should absolutely handle this vacuum. 120V*9A=1080W, which is below the 1400 running watts of the unit.
What spark plug does predator 1800 take? (Asked November 15, 2022)
Spark plug should be Torch E6RTC or equivalent.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.