Zoom on the Predator 1400
In summary, the Predator 1400 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Predator 1400 houses a 54 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1100W along with a peak wattage of 1400W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 60.4 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office).
The 1400 can operate for up to 7.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.65 gallon.
The 1400 generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 3 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 5A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The Predator 1400's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L18.5 x W10.7 x H15.5 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the 1400 weighs just 33 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
The light indicators show you if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Predator 1400's package also includes these accessories: funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables and oil.
The Predator 1400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Predator 1400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 1400 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Predator 1400 has only 33 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 1000 to 2000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the ECHO EGi-1200, with a dry weight of only 30 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 60.4 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- The 1400's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 7.3 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Predator 1400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (60.4 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||54 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1100 W|
|Starting watts||1400 W|
|Running amps||9.2 amps|
|Peak amps||11.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||7.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 5A receptacle
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.65 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 10.7 x 15.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60.4 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||57063|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 1400 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||392 W||1392 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||875 W||1295 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
What is on off switch on fuel cap for?? (Asked July 04, 2021)
It's the vent switch. It should be OFF for storage or transport, and ON to run the unit.
I have a old school swamp cooler AC unit in my home and during summer time my electricity gets shut off. Will the predator 1100 power this kind of unit? It's a small 120v unit mounted inside my home. Not the big ones on roof tops (Asked July 27, 2021)
It is unfortunately not feasible to answer the question accurately without more specifics. The unit can output a maximum of 9.2 running amps and 11.7 starting amps. You'd have to look at your AC power requirements (rating plate).
Is this generator waterproof (Asked October 04, 2021)
The unit is not waterproof and should be properly sheltered. We recommend reading our article on generator operation in bad weather.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.