Zoom on the Predator 1400
In a nutshell, the Predator 1400 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 1400's core is the 54 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1100W and a peak wattage of 1400W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 60.4 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 0.65 gallon, the 1400 can operate for up to 7.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 1400 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 3 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets and a 12V 5A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the Predator 1400 is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18.5 x W10.7 x H15.5 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
With a weight of only 33 lbs, the 1400 may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
When the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Predator 1400's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil, battery charging cables and tool kit.
The Predator 1400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Predator 1400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 1400 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- As for its weight, the Predator 1400 weighs only 33 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM1200i, weighing just 25.3 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 60.4 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 1400, with an autonomy of up to 7.3 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Powermate PM2000, with up to 14 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Genmax GM1200i, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.07 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Predator 1400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (60.4 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||54 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1100 W|
|Starting watts||1400 W|
|Running amps||9.2 amps|
|Peak amps||11.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||7.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 5A receptacle
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.65 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 10.7 x 15.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60.4 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||57063|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 1400 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||392 W||1392 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||875 W||1295 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
What is on off switch on fuel cap for?? (Asked July 04, 2021)
It's the vent switch. It should be OFF for storage or transport, and ON to run the unit.
I have a old school swamp cooler AC unit in my home and during summer time my electricity gets shut off. Will the predator 1100 power this kind of unit? It's a small 120v unit mounted inside my home. Not the big ones on roof tops (Asked July 27, 2021)
It is unfortunately not feasible to answer the question accurately without more specifics. The unit can output a maximum of 9.2 running amps and 11.7 starting amps. You'd have to look at your AC power requirements (rating plate).
Is this generator waterproof (Asked October 04, 2021)
The unit is not waterproof and should be properly sheltered. We recommend reading our article on generator operation in bad weather.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.