Zoom on the Predator 1400
In summary, the Predator 1400 is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Predator 1400's engine, 54 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1100W and reaches a peak wattage of 1400W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 60.4 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 1400 can operate for up to 7.3 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.09 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.65 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 1400 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 3 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient and a 12V 5A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Since the Predator 1400 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L18.5 x W10.7 x H15.5 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Weighing just 33 lbs, the 1400 can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
When the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The unit also benefits from the Predator's CO SECURE™ carbon monoxide detection. This system monitors the accumulation of CO gas while the generator is running and will shut off the engine if the levels become dangerously high. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Predator 1400's package also includes these accessories: funnel, battery charging cables, tool kit and oil.
The Predator 1400 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Predator 1400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Predator 1400 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Predator 1400 has only 33 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 1000 to 2000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the ECHO EGi-1200, with a dry weight of only 30 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 60.4 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- The 1400's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 7.3 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.09 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Predator 1400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO SECURE™ technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Weak warranty
- On the noisy side (60.4 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||54 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1100 W|
|Starting watts||1400 W|
|Running amps||9.2 amps|
|Peak amps||11.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||7.3 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port |
1x 12V 5A receptacle
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.65 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.5 x 10.7 x 15.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60.4 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||57063|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Predator portable generators are solely distributed by the Harbor Freight Corporation, which has an impressive list of over 200 trademarked products. The Predator brand is one of their newer lines of outdoor power products. As with many other makes and models of power equipment sold by Harbor Freight, Predator generators are manufactured in China.
The Predator 1400 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Predator generators, please consult Predator's warranty policies stated in the user manual (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support : 1-800-444-3353.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||392 W||1392 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||875 W||1295 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.