Zoom on the Powermate CX3500
In summary, the Powermate CX3500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX3500 houses a 208 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,500W along with a peak wattage of 4,375W.
This generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the CX3500 can operate for around 12.2 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Powermate generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
The dimensions of the Powermate CX3500, which are L25.6 x W23.8 x H21.6 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 108 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The CX3500 and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Powermate CX3500 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Powermate CX3500 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Powermate CX3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX3500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 108 pounds, the Powermate CX3500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- As the CX3500 features an autonomy of around 12.2 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, as it provides around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.37 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.22 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Powermate CX3500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- High run time
- Decent weight (108 lbs)
- No electric start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||208 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,375 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Fuel tank||4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.6 x 23.8 x 21.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate CX3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||4267 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What is the noise rating of the CX3500?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Can I run two refrigerators and a portable air conditioner? (Asked August 01, 2020)
At first glance, it should be fine. But wattage consumption varies from fridge to fridge, and from portable A/C to portable A/C. We recommend checking the actual wattage consumption of your appliances, and then insert these values in the "custom appliances" section of our generator sizer.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.