Zoom on the Powermate CX5500
In a nutshell, the Powermate CX5500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX5500's engine, 420 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5500W and reaches a peak wattage of 6875W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The CX5500 can operate for around 12.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.56 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 7 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
The Powermate CX5500 has the following dimensions: L31.5 x W27.6 x H24.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 173 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit (⌀12") and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the CX5500's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Powermate CX5500 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Powermate CX5500 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powermate CX5500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX5500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 173 lbs, the Powermate CX5500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 5000 to 6000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 100519, weighing just 121 pounds.
- The CX5500, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 12.5 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.56 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5500, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.44 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Powermate CX5500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (173 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 27.6 x 24.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. Since then, they have improved their technology, using engines made by Honda, Mitsubishi or Subaru to bring their users a selection of mostly mid-powered conventional portable generators.
The Powermate CX5500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.