Zoom on the Powermate CX5500
In summary, the Powermate CX5500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX5500 is powered by a 420 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5500W as well as a peak wattage of 6875W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the CX5500 can operate for around 12.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.56 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Since the CX5500 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the Powermate CX5500, which are L31.5 x W27.6 x H24.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 173 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the CX5500's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powermate CX5500 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Powermate CX5500 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate CX5500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX5500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As its weight is 173 pounds, the Powermate CX5500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Westinghouse WGen5300v, standing at just 107 lbs.
- Offering around 12.5 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the CX5500 is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.56 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.35 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5300v is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Powermate CX5500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (173 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 27.6 x 24.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||PMC0145500|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate CX5500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4010 W||6710 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.