Zoom on the Powermate CX5500
In summary, the Powermate CX5500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX5500 houses a 420 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 5500W along with a peak wattage of 6875W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the CX5500 can operate for around 12.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.56 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the CX5500 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Powermate CX5500, which are L31.5 x W27.6 x H24.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 173 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the CX5500's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powermate CX5500 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Powermate CX5500 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powermate CX5500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX5500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As its weight is 173 pounds, the Powermate CX5500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 5000-6000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN6000 with only 119 pounds.
- As the CX5500 offers around 12.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.56 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.35 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Powermate CX5500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (173 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6875 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||57.3/28.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 27.6 x 24.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||PMC0145500|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate CX5500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4397 W||5497 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4010 W||6710 W|
What is the noise rating of the CX5500?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.