Zoom on the Powermate PM9400E
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM9400E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM9400E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7500W and also a peak wattage of 9400W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the PM9400E may run for up to 13 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
As the PM9400E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L31 x W27 x H26.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powermate PM9400E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 188 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A digital data center, one of the features of the PM9400E's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powermate PM9400E, the following accessories are also included: battery charger and oil.
The Powermate PM9400E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate PM9400E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM9400E compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Powermate PM9400E has only 188 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 7000 to 8000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- The PM9400E's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 13 hours at 25% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9500, as it provides up to 18.5 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.62 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 9500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.37 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Powermate PM9400E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (188 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||9400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||78.3/39.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||13 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31 x 27 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||P0081500|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM9400E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4880 W||9380 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM9400E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Do you know if I can order a battery as I have only had my powermate 9 months and the battery is dead. I have power mate 9400E (Asked August 11, 2021)
Battery part number is 0G9449. You may order one directly from Generac, or find a compatible one onAmazon (opens in a new tab).
What comes with a powermate 9400e generator? Battery charger, cords? (Asked August 22, 2021)
The unit comes with oil, battery charger, and wheel kit.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.