Zoom on the Powermate PM9400E
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM9400E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM9400E is powered by a 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7,500W as well as a peak wattage of 9,400W.
This generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the PM9400E can operate for up to 13 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.62 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Since the PM9400E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Powermate PM9400E has the following dimensions: L31 x W27 x H26.4 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 188 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
One of the many PM9400E's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powermate PM9400E, the following accessories are also included: battery charger and oil.
The Powermate PM9400E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powermate PM9400E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM9400E compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Powermate PM9400E only weighs in at 188 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 7000-8000 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 13 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the PM9400E is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP9000iH, with up to 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.62 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP9000iH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Powermate PM9400E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (188 lbs)
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7,500 W|
|Starting watts||9,400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||78.3/39.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||13 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31 x 27 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||P0081500|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM9400E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||4880 W||9380 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM9400E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Do you know if I can order a battery as I have only had my powermate 9 months and the battery is dead. I have power mate 9400E (Asked August 11, 2021)
Battery part number is 0G9449. You may order one directly from Generac, or find a compatible one onAmazon (opens in a new tab).
What comes with a powermate 9400e generator? Battery charger, cords? (Asked August 22, 2021)
The unit comes with oil, battery charger, and wheel kit.
How many gals of gas does the tank hold (Asked October 29, 2021)
Fuel tank capacity is 8 gallons.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.