Zoom on the Powermate PM7500
In summary, the Powermate PM7500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM7500's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 6000W and also a peak wattage of 7500W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The PM7500 can operate for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.57 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PM7500 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Powermate PM7500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L31 x W27 x H26.4 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 170 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Monitoring of the PM7500's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Powermate also included some oil in the PM7500's packaging.
The Powermate PM7500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powermate PM7500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM7500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5500 and 6500 W).
- As for its weight, the Powermate PM7500 weighs only 170 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 5500-6500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of only 140 lbs.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 14 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the PM7500 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, as it provides up to 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.57 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Honda EU7000iS, with a fuel consumption of 0.32 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5500-6500W generators, the Powermate PM7500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (170 lbs)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6000 W|
|Starting watts||7500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31 x 27 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||P0081400|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM7500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4792 W||6292 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||4795 W||5385 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||4790 W||7490 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM7500?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.