Zoom on the Powermate PM4500E
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM4500E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM4500E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 224 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,600W and also a peak wattage of 4,500W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the PM4500E can operate for up to 20 hours (fuel consumption around 0.25 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 5 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Even if this Powermate generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The dimensions of the Powermate PM4500E, which are L26.3 x W22.9 x H21.6 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 114 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the PM4500E includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Powermate also included some oil in the PM4500E's packaging.
The Powermate PM4500E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Powermate PM4500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM4500E compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 114 lbs, the Powermate PM4500E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- With a run time of up to 20 hours at 25% load, the PM4500E has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.25 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Champion 200988, with a fuel consumption of 0.16 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Powermate PM4500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Decent weight (114 lbs)
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||224 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3,600 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||14 h|
|Run time @25% load||20 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 22.9 x 21.6 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||P0081300|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM4500E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2857 W||3857 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM4500E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.