Zoom on the Powermate PM3000i
In summary, the Powermate PM3000i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM3000i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 149 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2300W and also a peak wattage of 3000W.
This inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The PM3000i can operate for up to 5.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.06 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PM3000i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
This Powermate generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Since the Powermate PM3000i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L22.2 x W13.3 x H18.4 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The PM3000i can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 59.5 lbs. Furthermore, moving the PM3000i from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual, which lets you start it right away, the Powermate PM3000i also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Powermate PM3000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powermate PM3000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM3000i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 59.5 pounds, the Powermate PM3000i falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- As for its autonomy, the PM3000i, with an autonomy of up to 5.8 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.18 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powermate PM3000i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (59.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||149 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2300 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||19.2 amps|
|Peak amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||5.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.06 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||PM0080600|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM3000i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1837 W||2837 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1835 W||2425 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM3000i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.