Zoom on the Powermate PM3000i
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM3000i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM3000i is powered by a 149 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2300W as well as a peak wattage of 3000W.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
With a fuel capacity of 1.06 gallon, the PM3000i may run for up to 5.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
As the PM3000i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
This Powermate generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
As the Powermate PM3000i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L22.2 x W13.3 x H18.4 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
With a dry weight of 59.5 lbs, the PM3000i can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, the convenient handle (molded in the case) greatly enhances the grip, making carrying the PM3000i from A to B always an easy task.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Powermate PM3000i also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Powermate PM3000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Powermate PM3000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM3000i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 59.5 pounds, the Powermate PM3000i falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- As for its autonomy, the PM3000i, with an autonomy of up to 5.8 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.18 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powermate PM3000i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (59.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||149 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2300 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||19.2 amps|
|Peak amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||5.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.06 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||PM0080600|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM3000i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1837 W||2837 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1830 W||2250 W|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM3000i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.