Zoom on the Powermate PM3000i
In summary, the Powermate PM3000i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM3000i is powered by a 149 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2300W as well as a peak wattage of 3000W.
This inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.06 gallon, the PM3000i can operate for up to 5.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The PM3000i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
This Powermate generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Since the Powermate PM3000i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L22.2 x W13.3 x H18.4 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The 59.5 lbs of the PM3000i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, shifting it is an easy task, as the PM3000i features a nifty handle (molded in the case), improving your grip greatly.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powermate PM3000i also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Powermate PM3000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powermate PM3000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM3000i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 59.5 lbs, the Powermate PM3000i belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 5.8 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the PM3000i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.18 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Predator 2000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powermate PM3000i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (59.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||149 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2300 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||19.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||5.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.06 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||PM0080600|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM3000i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1837 W||2837 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1835 W||2425 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM3000i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.