Zoom on the Powermate PM3000i
In summary, the Powermate PM3000i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM3000i's core is the 149 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2300W and a peak wattage of 3000W.
This inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
With a full tank, the PM3000i can operate for up to 5.8 hours (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.06 gallon.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PM3000i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
This Powermate generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
As the Powermate PM3000i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L22.2 x W13.3 x H18.4 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
With a dry weight of 59.5 lbs, the PM3000i can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Furthermore, moving the PM3000i from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
The light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Powermate PM3000i's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start it right off the bat.
The Powermate PM3000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powermate PM3000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM3000i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 59.5 lbs, the Powermate PM3000i belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56202i with only 38.6 pounds.
- As for its autonomy, the PM3000i, with an autonomy of up to 5.8 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.18 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (59.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||149 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2300 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||19.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||5.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.06 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||PM0080600|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate PM3000i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1837 W||2837 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1835 W||2425 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.