Zoom on the Powermate PM3000i
In summary, the Powermate PM3000i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM3000i houses a 149 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 2300W along with a peak wattage of 3000W.
This inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
With a fuel capacity of 1.06 gallon, the PM3000i may run for up to 5.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The PM3000i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Even if this Powermate generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The Powermate PM3000i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L22.2 x W13.3 x H18.4 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 59.5 lbs of the PM3000i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Additionally, a conveniently placed handle (molded in the case) is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the PM3000i across any distance.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Powermate PM3000i comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual needed to get you promptly started.
The Powermate PM3000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate PM3000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM3000i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 59.5 lbs, the Powermate PM3000i belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the PM3000i, reaching up to 5.8 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.18 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (59.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||149 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2300 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||19.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||5.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.06 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||PM0080600|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate PM3000i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1837 W||2837 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1830 W||2250 W|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.