Zoom on the Powermate PM2000i
In summary, the Powermate PM2000i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM2000i houses a 80 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,700W along with a peak wattage of 2,000W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The PM2000i can operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon.
The PM2000i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Powermate PM2000i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L19.7 x W11.4 x H17.9 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Weighing just 46.6 lbs, the PM2000i can be considered a lightweight portable generator. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powermate PM2000i, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Powermate PM2000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate PM2000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM2000i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 46.6 lbs, the Powermate PM2000i belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 1500 and 2500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM2000i, weighing just 34.2 pounds.
- Since the PM2000i boasts with a run time of up to 11 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most inverter generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, with up to 13 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroMax XP2300iH, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Powermate PM2000i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- High run time
- Decent weight (46.6 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1,700 W|
|Starting watts||2,000 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.7 x 11.4 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||P0080500|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM2000i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM2000i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.