Zoom on the Powermate PM2000i
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM2000i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM2000i houses a 80 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1700W along with a peak wattage of 2000W.
This inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon allows the PM2000i to operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
The PM2000i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L19.7 x W11.4 x H17.9 in), the Powermate PM2000i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Weighing just 46.6 lbs, the PM2000i can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. Its handle (molded in the case) allows you to carry it easily, further enhancing its convenience.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Powermate PM2000i also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, funnel, battery charging cables and oil.
The Powermate PM2000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate PM2000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM2000i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Powermate PM2000i only weighs in at 46.6 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- The PM2000i, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 11 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powermate PM2000i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (46.6 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.7 x 11.4 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||P0080500|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM2000i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM2000i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.