Zoom on the Powermate PM2000
In summary, the Powermate PM2000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM2000's design includes a gasoline-fueled 98 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1,400W and also a peak wattage of 2,000W.
This generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
With a fuel capacity of 2.25 gallons, the PM2000 may run for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
The design of the Powermate PM2000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L19.7 x W15.6 x H17 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The PM2000 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 62 lbs. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Powermate also included some oil in the PM2000's packaging.
The Powermate PM2000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powermate PM2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM2000 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- With its weight of 62 lbs, the Powermate PM2000 is one of the heavier generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PGD16iSCO, weighing just 24 pounds.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of up to 14 hours at 25% load, the PM2000 benefits from one of the highest run times among generators of a similar output.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.16 GPH at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen1500c, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.07 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Powermate PM2000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (62 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|98 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|Steel, 2.25 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|19.7 x 15.6 x 17 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
What is the noise rating of the PM2000?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.