Zoom on the Powermate PM2000
In summary, the Powermate PM2000 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM2000's engine, 98 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1400W and reaches a peak wattage of 2000W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Powermate's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The PM2000 can operate for up to 14 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.16 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.25 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
The design of the Powermate PM2000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L19.7 x W15.6 x H17 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 62 lbs, the PM2000 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Powermate also included some oil in the PM2000's packaging.
The Powermate PM2000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powermate PM2000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM2000 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- With its weight of 62 lbs, the Powermate PM2000 is one of the heavier generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the ECHO EGi-1200, weighing just 30 pounds.
- The PM2000, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of up to 14 hours at a 25% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.16 GPH at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Predator 2000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Powermate PM2000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (62 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||2000 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peak amps||16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||14 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.25 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.7 x 15.6 x 17 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||P0080900|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM2000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||992 W||1992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1110 W||1700 W|
|For work||Milk cooler||1100||1800|
|Total||1100 W||1800 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM2000?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.