Zoom on the Powermate PM1200i
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM1200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM1200i's core is the 54 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1000W and a peak wattage of 1200W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the PM1200i can operate for up to 7 hours (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 0.79 gallon.
The PM1200i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
As the Powermate PM1200i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18.3 x W10.3 x H15.7 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the PM1200i weighs just 33 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual to get you promptly started, the Powermate PM1200i also comes with some accessories: tool kit and funnel are included.
The Powermate PM1200i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powermate PM1200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM1200i compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Powermate PM1200i stands at only 33 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 1000-2000 rated wattage category In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the ECHO EGi-1200, standing at just 30 lbs.
- The PM1200i's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 7 hours at 25% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Powermate PM1200i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.79 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 10.3 x 15.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||P0080400|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM1200i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM1200i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.