Zoom on the Powermate PM1200i
In summary, the Powermate PM1200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM1200i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 54 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1000W and also a peak wattage of 1200W.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 0.79 gallon, the PM1200i may run for up to 7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
The PM1200i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
As the Powermate PM1200i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18.3 x W10.3 x H15.7 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Weighing just 33 lbs, the PM1200i can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The generator can be moved with ease by only one person and so it can be enjoyed on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to its handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Powermate PM1200i also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and tool kit.
The Powermate PM1200i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate PM1200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM1200i compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Powermate PM1200i only weighs in at 33 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 1000-2000 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the ECHO EGi-1200 with only 30 pounds.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 7 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the PM1200i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Predator 2000, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Powermate PM1200i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.79 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 10.3 x 15.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||P0080400|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM1200i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM1200i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.