Zoom on the Powermate PM1200i
In summary, the Powermate PM1200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM1200i's engine, 54 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 1,200W.
This inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the PM1200i can operate for up to 7 hours (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 0.79 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the PM1200i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
As the Powermate PM1200i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18.3 x W10.3 x H15.7 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
With a weight of only 33 lbs, the PM1200i may be viewed as a lightweight and portable generator. The device can be easily moved by just one person and thus, its power may be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Good to know: This unit ranks 8th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
The light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Powermate PM1200i's package also includes these accessories: tool kit and funnel.
The Powermate PM1200i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate PM1200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM1200i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Powermate PM1200i stands at only 33 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter inverters of the 1000-2000 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM1200i with only 25.3 pounds.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the PM1200i falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the DuroMax XP2300iH, with up to 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.11 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.07 GPH, the Genmax GM1200i is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W inverter generators, the Powermate PM1200i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1,000 W|
|Starting watts||1,200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.79 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 10.3 x 15.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||P0080400|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM1200i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM1200i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.