Zoom on the Powermate PM1200i
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM1200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM1200i is powered by a 54 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1,000W as well as a peak wattage of 1,200W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 0.79 gallon, the PM1200i can operate for up to 7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the PM1200i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L18.3 x W10.3 x H15.7 in), the Powermate PM1200i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the PM1200i weighs just 33 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
Good to know: This unit ranks 9th in our list of the 10 smallest portable generators.
The device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Powermate PM1200i's package also includes these accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The Powermate PM1200i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powermate PM1200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM1200i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Powermate PM1200i has only 33 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 1000 to 2000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM1200i, with a dry weight of only 25.3 lbs.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 7 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the PM1200i falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, as it provides up to 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.11 GPH at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Genmax GM1200i. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.07 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W inverter generators, the Powermate PM1200i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1,000 W|
|Starting watts||1,200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peak amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.79 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 10.3 x 15.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||P0080400|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate PM1200i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
What is the noise rating of the PM1200i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.