Zoom on the Powermate PM1200i
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM1200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM1200i houses a 54 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1000W along with a peak wattage of 1200W.
This inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 0.79 gallon allows the PM1200i to operate for up to 7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
As the PM1200i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
As the Powermate PM1200i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L18.3 x W10.3 x H15.7 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The PM1200i is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 33 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. Further convenience is provided by its handle (molded in the case), as it allows you to carry it effortlessly.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Powermate PM1200i comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual needed to get you promptly started.
The Powermate PM1200i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powermate PM1200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM1200i compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As for its weight, the Powermate PM1200i weighs only 33 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of only 20.3 lbs.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 7 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the PM1200i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Yamaha EF1000iS, as it provides up to 11.9 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.11 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.06 GPH, the Yamaha EF1000iS is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.79 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 10.3 x 15.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||P0080400|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate PM1200i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||192 W||1192 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||730 W||1180 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||730 W||960 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.