Zoom on the Powermate PM1200i
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM1200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM1200i houses a 54 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1000W along with a peak wattage of 1200W.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The PM1200i can operate for up to 7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.79 gallon.
The PM1200i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
The Powermate PM1200i's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L18.3 x W10.3 x H15.7 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the PM1200i weighs just 33 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Powermate PM1200i's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Powermate PM1200i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powermate PM1200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM1200i compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Powermate PM1200i weighs just 33 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 500 to 1500 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the PM1200i, reaching up to 7 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Yamaha EF1000iS, as it provides up to 11.9 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.11 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.06 GPH, the Yamaha EF1000iS is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Lightweight (33 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||54 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1000 W|
|Starting watts||1200 W|
|Running amps||8.3 amps|
|Peaks amps||10 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.79 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.3 x 10.3 x 15.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||P0080400|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate PM1200i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.