Zoom on the Powermate CX6500E
In summary, the Powermate CX6500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX6500E houses a 420 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 6500W along with a peak wattage of 8125W.
Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 7 gallons, the CX6500E may run for around 9.8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
As the CX6500E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Powermate CX6500E has the following dimensions: L31.5 x W27.6 x H24.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 202 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The CX6500E and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powermate CX6500E, the following accessories are also included: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Powermate CX6500E is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate CX6500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX6500E compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 202 lbs, the Powermate CX6500E belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 6000 to 7000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- As for its autonomy, the CX6500E, with an autonomy of around 9.8 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, which is able to run for around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.71 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W generators, the Powermate CX6500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (202 lbs)
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6500 W|
|Starting watts||8125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||67.7/33.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 27.6 x 24.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery|
|Other model numbers||PC0146500|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate CX6500E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5192 W||6692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5195 W||5785 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3480 W||7980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.