Zoom on the Powermate CX1400
In summary, the Powermate CX1400 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX1400's engine, 98 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1400W and reaches a peak wattage of 1700W.
This generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The CX1400 can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Powermate CX1400 has the following dimensions: L19.8 x W15.6 x H15.9 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The CX1400 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 60 lbs. Additionally, the generator’s mobility is also improved by its open frame design, as it can be easily grabbed and shifted.
To help you monitor the CX1400's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Powermate CX1400 also comes with some accessories: funnel, tool kit and oil are included.
The Powermate CX1400 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powermate CX1400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX1400 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As its dry weight is 60 pounds, the Powermate CX1400 is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 500 to 1500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i with only 20.3 pounds.
- Given that the CX1400 reaches an autonomy of around 8.5 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG2000, with around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.18 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Ryobi RYi1000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Powermate CX1400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (60 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||1700 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||14.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 15.6 x 15.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||PC0141400|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate CX1400 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||692 W||1692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1090 W||1680 W|
|For work||Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||1080 W||1080 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.