Zoom on the Powermate CX1400
In summary, the Powermate CX1400 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX1400's core is the 98 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1400W and a peak wattage of 1700W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon, the CX1400 can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The design of the Powermate CX1400 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L19.8 x W15.6 x H15.9 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the CX1400's weight is only 60 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The CX1400's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and a user manual, helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powermate CX1400, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Powermate CX1400 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powermate CX1400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX1400 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- As its dry weight is 60 pounds, the Powermate CX1400 is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 500 to 1500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN1000i, weighing just 20.3 pounds.
- As the CX1400 offers 8.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG2000, which is able to run for 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.18 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Ryobi RYi1000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Powermate CX1400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (60 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Powermate CX1400?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||1700 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||14.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 15.6 x 15.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. Since then, they have improved their technology, using engines made by Honda, Mitsubishi or Subaru to bring their users a selection of mostly mid-powered conventional portable generators.
The Powermate CX1400 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.