Zoom on the Powermate CX1400
In summary, the Powermate CX1400 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX1400's engine, 98 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1400W and reaches a peak wattage of 1700W.
This generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the CX1400 can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Powermate CX1400 has the following dimensions: L19.8 x W15.6 x H15.9 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the CX1400's weight is only 60 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The control panel of the CX1400 includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powermate CX1400 also is packed along with the following accessories: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Powermate CX1400 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powermate CX1400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX1400 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- As its dry weight is 60 pounds, the Powermate CX1400 is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 1000 to 2000 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the ECHO EGi-1200, weighing just 30 pounds.
- The CX1400, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 8.5 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with around 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Cat INV1250. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.1 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Powermate CX1400 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (60 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||1700 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peak amps||14.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 15.6 x 15.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||PC0141400|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate CX1400 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||692 W||1692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1090 W||1680 W|
|For work||Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||1080 W||1080 W|
What is the noise rating of the CX1400?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Powermate (Generac) does not provide their units' noise levels.
Can it power a washing machine of 6.0 Amps 60 Hz 120 Volt? (Asked August 23, 2020)
6A x 120V = 720W. Note that this value most likely represents the running wattage. You'd need to know how many amps your washing machine draws when it starts. Learn more about running and starting watts.
What kind of oil does it use? Or recommend (Asked August 25, 2020)
The recommended oil depends on the temperature. A diagram is available page 9 of the owner's manual.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.