Zoom on the Powermate CX1400
In summary, the Powermate CX1400 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX1400's engine, 98 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1400W and reaches a peak wattage of 1700W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1.5 gallon allows the CX1400 to operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Powermate CX1400 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L19.8 x W15.6 x H15.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 60 lbs of the CX1400's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
The control panel of the CX1400 includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and a user manual, letting you start the generator quickly, the Powermate CX1400 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Powermate CX1400 is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powermate CX1400 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX1400 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- With its weight of 60 lbs, the Powermate CX1400 is one of the heavier generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- The CX1400, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 8.5 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2000, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.18 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Ryobi RYi1000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Powermate CX1400 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- On the heavy side (60 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||98 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1400 W|
|Starting watts||1700 W|
|Running amps||11.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||14.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||1.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 15.6 x 15.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. Since then, they have improved their technology, using engines made by Honda, Mitsubishi or Subaru to bring their users a selection of mostly mid-powered conventional portable generators.
The Powermate CX1400 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.