Zoom on the Powermate DF3500E
In summary, the Powermate DF3500E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Powermate DF3500E allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3500W and a starting wattage of 4375W. If propane-powered, it gives 3200 rated watts and 4000 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 4.5 gallons, the DF3500E can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH), or for around 7 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.67 GPH) using propane.
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
This Powermate generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L26.3 x W23 x H20.7 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powermate DF3500E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 115.5 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the DF3500E's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Powermate DF3500E's package also includes these accessories: propane hose, tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Powermate DF3500E is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate DF3500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate DF3500E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 115.5 lbs, the Powermate DF3500E belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500 with only 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 10 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the DF3500E is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.45 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Powermate DF3500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (115.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W||3200 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||36.5 amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Fuel tank||4.5 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23 x 20.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and propane hose|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. Since then, they have improved their technology, using engines made by Honda, Mitsubishi or Subaru to bring their users a selection of mostly mid-powered conventional portable generators.
The Powermate DF3500E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.