Zoom on the Powermate DF3500E
In a nutshell, the Powermate DF3500E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Powermate DF3500E allows for an output of 120V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 3500W and a starting wattage of 4375W. If propane-powered, it gives 3200 rated watts and 4000 starting watts.
At a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
As for its running time, the DF3500E, along with its 4.5 gallons fuel capacity, can run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank filled with gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH). If propane is used, it can operate for around 7 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.67 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Powermate generator is RV Ready.
The Powermate DF3500E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.3 x W23 x H20.7 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 115.5 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The DF3500E's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powermate DF3500E also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, funnel, oil and propane hose.
The Powermate DF3500E is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powermate DF3500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate DF3500E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- With a dry weight of 115.5 pounds, the Powermate DF3500E finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 68 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DF3500E falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.45 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Powermate DF3500E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (115.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W||3200 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23 x 20.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||6957|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate DF3500E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.