Zoom on the Powermate DF3500E
In a nutshell, the Powermate DF3500E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Powermate DF3500E provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4375W. While propane-powered, it provides 3200 rated watts and 4000 starting watts.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than an office), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The running time of the DF3500E, with its 4.5 gallons fuel capacity, can reach around 10 hours at 50% load on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH). With propane, it can reach around 7 hours (on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.67 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Powermate generator is RV Ready.
The Powermate DF3500E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L26.3 x W23 x H20.7 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 115.5 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the DF3500E's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powermate DF3500E also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, oil, propane hose and funnel.
The Powermate DF3500E is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate DF3500E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate DF3500E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- With a dry weight of 115.5 pounds, the Powermate DF3500E finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 68 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 10 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the DF3500E falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.45 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Powermate DF3500E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Dual Fuel
- Decent weight (115.5 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||208 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W||3200 W|
|Starting watts||4375 W||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||36.5 amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||4.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||26.3 x 23 x 20.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, propane hose, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||6957|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. In 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. In 2014, Generac acquired Powermate from PRAMAC.
The Powermate DF3500E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-445-1805.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||3767 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.