Zoom on the Powermate PM2200i
In summary, the Powermate PM2200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM2200i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1700W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Powermate parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the PM2200i can operate for up to 10.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the PM2200i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
The Powermate PM2200i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L19.8 x W11.5 x H17.9 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Weighing just 45 lbs, the PM2200i can be considered a lightweight portable generator. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Powermate PM2200i also comes with some accessories: funnel, battery charging cables, oil and tool kit are included.
The Powermate PM2200i is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powermate PM2200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM2200i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Powermate PM2200i stands at only 45 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN 56202i, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 62 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Offering up to 10.8 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the PM2200i is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powermate PM2200i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (45 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (62 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 11.5 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||10000001790|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate PM2200i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1340 W||1930 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.