Zoom on the Powermate PM2200i
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM2200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM2200i's build contains a gasoline-fueled 80 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1700W and also a peak wattage of 2200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Powermate parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the PM2200i can operate for up to 10.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the PM2200i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
The Powermate PM2200i's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L19.8 x W11.5 x H17.9 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the PM2200i weighs just 45 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
The device’s light indicators will display if the oil level is too low, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Powermate PM2200i also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Powermate PM2200i is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powermate PM2200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM2200i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- In terms of its dry weigh, the Powermate PM2200i stands at only 45 lbs, meaning that is one of the one of the lighter devices of the 1500-2500 rated wattage category Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 62 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- As the PM2200i offers 10.8 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with 26 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV2000P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powermate PM2200i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (45 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (62 dBA)
Where to buy the Powermate PM2200i?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 11.5 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. Since then, they have improved their technology, using engines made by Honda, Mitsubishi or Subaru to bring their users a selection of mostly mid-powered conventional portable generators.
The Powermate PM2200i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.