Zoom on the Powermate PM2200i
In summary, the Powermate PM2200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM2200i's core is the 80 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1700W and a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Powermate parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
With a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the PM2200i can operate for up to 10.8 hours (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon.
The PM2200i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
As the Powermate PM2200i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L19.8 x W11.5 x H17.9 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the PM2200i weighs just 45 lbs. The product’s power can be enjoyed on-the-go, as it can be moved by a single person without trouble. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Powermate PM2200i also comes with some accessories: oil, battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit are included.
The Powermate PM2200i is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powermate PM2200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM2200i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Powermate PM2200i weighs just 45 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 1500 to 2500 rated wattage generators. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this inverter generator with a lowest emitted noise of 62 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Given that the PM2200i reaches an autonomy of up to 10.8 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powermate PM2200i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (45 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (62 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 11.5 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables|
|Other model numbers||10000001790|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate PM2200i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1355 W||1355 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.