Zoom on the Powermate PM2200i
In a nutshell, the Powermate PM2200i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate PM2200i houses a 80 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1700W along with a peak wattage of 2200W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Powermate parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.2 gallon, the PM2200i can operate for up to 10.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
The PM2200i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Since the Powermate PM2200i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L19.8 x W11.5 x H17.9 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Labeled a lightweight portable generator, the PM2200i weighs just 45 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Powermate PM2200i's package also includes these accessories: oil, tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables.
The Powermate PM2200i is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powermate PM2200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate PM2200i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As for its weight, the Powermate PM2200i weighs only 45 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 62 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU2200i, whose lowest noise levels reach just 48 dBA.
- Given that the PM2200i reaches an autonomy of up to 10.8 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powermate PM2200i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (45 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the noisy side (62 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1700 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||14.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||10.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) |
1x 5V USB port
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||1.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||19.8 x 11.5 x 17.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. Since then, they have improved their technology, using engines made by Honda, Mitsubishi or Subaru to bring their users a selection of mostly mid-powered conventional portable generators.
The Powermate PM2200i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.