Zoom on the Powermate CX8000E
In a nutshell, the Powermate CX8000E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX8000E houses a 445 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 8000W along with a peak wattage of 10000W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the CX8000E can operate for around 9.4 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.74 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
While this Powermate generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the CX8000E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Powermate CX8000E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L31.5 x W27.6 x H24.5 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 219 lbs. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the CX8000E includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Powermate CX8000E's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Powermate CX8000E is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powermate CX8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- At a weight of 219 pounds, the Powermate CX8000E places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7500-8500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL with only 185 pounds.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9.4 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the CX8000E falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman H08053, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.74 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Powermate CX8000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (219 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||445 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.4 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 27.6 x 24.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery|
|Other model numbers||10000001785|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate CX8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6392 W||7892 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.