Zoom on the Powermate CX8000E
In summary, the Powermate CX8000E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX8000E's engine, 445 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 8000W and reaches a peak wattage of 10000W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 7 gallons allows the CX8000E to operate for around 9.4 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.74 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This Powermate generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the CX8000E is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Powermate CX8000E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L31.5 x W27.6 x H24.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 219 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀12") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The CX8000E's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powermate CX8000E also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Powermate CX8000E is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powermate CX8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- At a weight of 219 pounds, the Powermate CX8000E places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7500-8500 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, weighing just 185 pounds.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 9.4 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the CX8000E is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Firman H08053, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.74 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PG10000B16, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Powermate CX8000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (219 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||445 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.4 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 27.6 x 24.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery|
|Other model numbers||10000001785|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. As of 2020, it would seem that Generac has now taken over the manufacturing of Powermate's portable generators.
The Powermate CX8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.