Zoom on the Powermate CX8000E
In summary, the Powermate CX8000E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powermate CX8000E houses a 445 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 8000W along with a peak wattage of 10000W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 7 gallons, the CX8000E may run for around 9.4 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.74 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
This Powermate generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the CX8000E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Powermate CX8000E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L31.5 x W27.6 x H24.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 219 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit (⌀12") and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The CX8000E's control center features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and a user manual, which lets you start it right away, the Powermate CX8000E also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Powermate CX8000E is neither EPA approved nor CARB-compliant..
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powermate CX8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powermate CX8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- With a dry weight of 219 pounds, the Powermate CX8000E finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, with a dry weight of just 185 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the CX8000E, reaching around 9.4 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman H08053, with around 12 hours .
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.74 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WPro8500. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Powermate CX8000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Decent weight (219 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No EPA or CARB compliance
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||445 cc Powermate OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.4 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||31.5 x 27.6 x 24.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powermate’s history is somewhat enigmatic, but they claim to have been on the market for over 40 years, selling portable generators and various outdoor power equipment. What we know for sure is that in 2009, they have signed under what they call “partnership” (more accurately ownership) with the Italian PRAMAC. Since then, they have improved their technology, using engines made by Honda, Mitsubishi or Subaru to bring their users a selection of mostly mid-powered conventional portable generators.
The Powermate CX8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powermate generators, please consult Powermate's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-977-2622.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.