-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 96
Zoom on the Powerhorse LC4500i
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse LC4500i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the following paragraphs, we shall explore the power characteristics, available outlets, portability, and any additional features of the device, along with its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse LC4500i's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4,500W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
At a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons allows the LC4500i to operate for up to 10 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the LC4500i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Powerhorse generator is RV Ready.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L22.8 x W17.3 x H20 in), the Powerhorse LC4500i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
As the LC4500i's weight is only 99 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Furthermore, once placed on the floor, effortless displacement is possible thanks to its set of 4 wheels and its double handle.
To help you monitor the LC4500i's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the power output, lifetime run hours and voltage.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powerhorse LC4500i also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The Powerhorse LC4500i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse LC4500i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse LC4500i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 99 lbs, the Powerhorse LC4500i belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 57 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 10 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the LC4500i is on the low end when compared to other inverter generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.26 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the Powerhorse LC4500i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (57 dBA)
- Decent weight (99 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 17.3 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery|
|Country of origin||Vietnam|
|Other model numbers||96387|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China or Vietnam.
The Powerhorse LC4500i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2787 W||4287 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Does the Powerhorse 4500i have an automatic choke and is it made in China? (Asked May 06, 2021)
The unit has a manual choke and is indeed manufactured in China.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.