Zoom on the Powerhorse LC4500i
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse LC4500i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse LC4500i's core is the 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,500W and a peak wattage of 4,500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 57 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons, the LC4500i may run for up to 10 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH).
The LC4500i generates a clean sine wave: providing <2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Powerhorse generator is RV Ready.
As the Powerhorse LC4500i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L22.8 x W17.3 x H20 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The LC4500i can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 99 lbs. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its set of 4 wheels and its double handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
To help you monitor the LC4500i's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the power output, lifetime run hours and voltage.
In addition to this info, when the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Powerhorse LC4500i also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and tool kit.
The Powerhorse LC4500i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse LC4500i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse LC4500i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 99 lbs, the Powerhorse LC4500i belongs in the expected weight range for inverters which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 57 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar type and power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 10 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the LC4500i is on the low end when compared to other inverter generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman W03661OF, as it provides up to 25 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.26 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W inverter generators, the Powerhorse LC4500i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (57 dBA)
- Decent weight (99 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,500 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||10 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 17.3 x 20 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery|
|Other model numbers||96387|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse LC4500i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2780 W||3370 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Does the Powerhorse 4500i have an automatic choke and is it made in China? (Asked May 06, 2021)
The unit has a manual choke and is indeed manufactured in China.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.