Zoom on the Powerhorse LC3500i
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse LC3500i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse LC3500i houses a 212 cc (6.1 hp) Loncin OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3000W along with a peak wattage of 3500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 57 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons, the LC3500i can operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The LC3500i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L22.8 x W17.3 x H20.1 in), the Powerhorse LC3500i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The 99.2 lbs of the LC3500i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, with its wheel kit and its double handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed the floor.
The control panel of the LC3500i includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours, voltage and power output.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powerhorse LC3500i also is packed along with the following accessories: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit.
The Powerhorse LC3500i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse LC3500i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse LC3500i compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 99.2 pounds, the Powerhorse LC3500i places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 57 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 11 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the LC3500i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Champion 200954, reaching up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.24 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3200P is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Powerhorse LC3500i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (57 dBA)
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Loncin OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A receptacle|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 17.3 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, and battery|
|Other model numbers||792220|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse LC3500i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
The unit LC3500i did not electric start when I purchased it. I had to rope start the unit. Does the unit charge it? (Asked August 22, 2020)
The unit will charge its own battery while running.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.