Zoom on the Powerhorse LC3500i
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse LC3500i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse LC3500i's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc (6.1 hp) Loncin OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3000W and also a peak wattage of 3500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
With a noise rating of 57 dBA (less noisy than rainfall), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The LC3500i can operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.24 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the LC3500i produces a clean sine wave, with a <2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
While this Powerhorse generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Powerhorse LC3500i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L22.8 x W17.3 x H20.1 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The LC3500i can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 99.2 lbs. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of its wheel kit and its double handle, once it is on the ground.
A digital data center, one of the features of the LC3500i’s control panel, gives you information on the power output, lifetime run hours and voltage, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powerhorse LC3500i, the following accessories are also included: battery charging cables, funnel and tool kit.
The Powerhorse LC3500i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse LC3500i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse LC3500i compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- With a dry weight of 99.2 pounds, the Powerhorse LC3500i finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 2500 and 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 57 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the LC3500i, reaching up to 11 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200954, with up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.24 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3200P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Powerhorse LC3500i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (57 dBA)
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Loncin OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A receptacle|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 17.3 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, and battery|
|Other model numbers||792220|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse LC3500i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
The unit LC3500i did not electric start when I purchased it. I had to rope start the unit. Does the unit charge it? (Asked August 22, 2020)
The unit will charge its own battery while running.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.