Zoom on the Powerhorse LC3500i
In summary, the Powerhorse LC3500i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse LC3500i is powered by a 212 cc (6.1 hp) Loncin OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3000W as well as a peak wattage of 3500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 57 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator).
The fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons allows the LC3500i to operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.24 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the LC3500i produces a clean sine wave, with a <2% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
As the Powerhorse LC3500i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L22.8 x W17.3 x H20.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The LC3500i can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 99.2 lbs. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of its set of 4 wheels and its double handle, once it is on the ground.
To help you monitor the LC3500i's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the voltage, lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Powerhorse LC3500i's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, funnel and battery charging cables.
The Powerhorse LC3500i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse LC3500i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse LC3500i compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 99.2 lbs, the Powerhorse LC3500i belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of only 59.5 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 57 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the LC3500i, with an autonomy of up to 11 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 200954, boasting with up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.24 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3200P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Powerhorse LC3500i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (57 dBA)
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Loncin OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A receptacle|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 17.3 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, and battery|
|Other model numbers||792220|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse LC3500i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2397 W||3397 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2390 W||2980 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
The unit LC3500i did not electric start when I purchased it. I had to rope start the unit. Does the unit charge it? (Asked August 22, 2020)
The unit will charge its own battery while running.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.