This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Powerhorse LC4500i. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Powerhorse LC3500i
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse LC3500i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse LC3500i is powered by a 212 cc (6.1 hp) Loncin OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,000W as well as a peak wattage of 3,500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 57 dBA (less noisy than a conversation at home).
With a fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons, the LC3500i may run for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.24 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the LC3500i produces a clean sine wave, with a <2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Even if this Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The Powerhorse LC3500i's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L22.8 x W17.3 x H20.1 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The 99.2 lbs of the LC3500i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its set of 4 wheels and its double handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
To help you monitor the LC3500i's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the power output, lifetime run hours and voltage.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powerhorse LC3500i, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel.
The Powerhorse LC3500i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse LC3500i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse LC3500i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 99.2 pounds, the Powerhorse LC3500i falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 57 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the LC3500i, reaching up to 11 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200914, which is able to run for up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.24 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3500P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (57 dBA)
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Loncin OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A receptacle|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 17.3 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, and battery|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||792220|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China or Vietnam.
The Powerhorse LC3500i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
The unit LC3500i did not electric start when I purchased it. I had to rope start the unit. Does the unit charge it? (Asked August 22, 2020)
The unit will charge its own battery while running.