This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Powerhorse LC4500i. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Powerhorse LC3500i
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse LC3500i is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse LC3500i is powered by a 212 cc (6.1 hp) Loncin OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3,000W as well as a peak wattage of 3,500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 57 dBA (less noisy than a refrigerator). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons, the LC3500i can operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.24 GPH).
The LC3500i generates a clean sine wave: providing <2% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 10A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
This Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
As the Powerhorse LC3500i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L22.8 x W17.3 x H20.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
As the LC3500i's weight is only 99.2 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, its set of 4 wheels and its double handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the LC3500i's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours, power output and voltage and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Powerhorse LC3500i also comes with some accessories: tool kit, battery charging cables and funnel are included.
The Powerhorse LC3500i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse LC3500i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse LC3500i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 99.2 pounds, the Powerhorse LC3500i falls in the expected weight range of the inverters in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 57 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar type and power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing up to 11 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the LC3500i falls into the low end in comparison with other inverters of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 200914, as it provides up to 22 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.24 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3500P is a device you could look out for.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (57 dBA)
- Decent weight (99.2 lbs)
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Loncin OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 10A receptacle|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.8 x 17.3 x 20.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||57 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, battery charging cables, and battery|
|Other model numbers||792220|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse LC3500i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
The unit LC3500i did not electric start when I purchased it. I had to rope start the unit. Does the unit charge it? (Asked August 22, 2020)
The unit will charge its own battery while running.