This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Powerhorse 9250. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Powerhorse 9000ES
In summary, the Powerhorse 9000ES is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 9000ES's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (12.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7,250W and also a peak wattage of 9,000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
The fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons allows the 9000ES to operate for around 9.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH).
The 9000ES generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 10 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, since the 9000ES bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Powerhorse 9000ES is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29.3 x W26.6 x H26.4 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 206 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the 9000ES includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Powerhorse 9000ES's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Powerhorse 9000ES is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 9000ES versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 9000ES compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With a dry weight of 206 pounds, the Powerhorse 9000ES finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 75 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- As the 9000ES offers around 9.6 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500E, as it provides around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.69 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV7500, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.45 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (206 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (75 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7,250 W|
|Starting watts||9,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60.4/30.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.3 x 26.6 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750142|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse 9000ES is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||5792 W||7267 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5785 W||6205 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
What does the throttle control switch do? Should I have it on? Couldn’t find information in manual. I have the powerhorse 9000E (Asked October 30, 2020)
This feature senses the load on the generator. With no load on the generator the engine speed drops to idle, which saves fuel and lengthens engine life. When a load is applied, the engine speed returns to maximum RPMs. Turning the switch off disables the sensing device and the generator will run at maximum RPM whether or not a load is applied.
Will it run a hot water heater (Asked November 14, 2020)
Most likely, yes. But it's always better to check your appliance's data plate to know its actual power needs.
How do I get a replacement throttle control switch for 9000? (Asked March 17, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Northern Tool.
Is this an inverter generator? (Asked March 18, 2022)
The unit is not an inverter generator, but it has a low THD.