This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Powerhorse 9250. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Powerhorse 9000ES
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 9000ES is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 9000ES's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (12.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7,250W and also a peak wattage of 9,000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
The 9000ES can operate for around 9.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
The 9000ES produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 10 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Powerhorse generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, because the 9000ES is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The Powerhorse 9000ES has the following dimensions: L29.3 x W26.6 x H26.4 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 206 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the 9000ES's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Powerhorse 9000ES comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Powerhorse 9000ES is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 9000ES versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 9000ES compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 206 lbs, the Powerhorse 9000ES belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 75 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- As the 9000ES offers around 9.6 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.69 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV7500. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.45 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (206 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (75 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7,250 W|
|Starting watts||9,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60.4/30.2 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.3 x 26.6 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||750142|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China or Vietnam.
The Powerhorse 9000ES is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5797 W||6897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||5790 W||6380 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
What does the throttle control switch do? Should I have it on? Couldn’t find information in manual. I have the powerhorse 9000E (Asked October 30, 2020)
This feature senses the load on the generator. With no load on the generator the engine speed drops to idle, which saves fuel and lengthens engine life. When a load is applied, the engine speed returns to maximum RPMs. Turning the switch off disables the sensing device and the generator will run at maximum RPM whether or not a load is applied.
Will it run a hot water heater (Asked November 14, 2020)
Most likely, yes. But it's always better to check your appliance's data plate to know its actual power needs.
How do I get a replacement throttle control switch for 9000? (Asked March 17, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Northern Tool.
Is this an inverter generator? (Asked March 18, 2022)
The unit is not an inverter generator, but it has a low THD.