This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Powerhorse 9250. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Powerhorse 9000ES
In summary, the Powerhorse 9000ES is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 9000ES's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc (12.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 7,250W and also a peak wattage of 9,000W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included). It is rated for a noise of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
The fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons allows the 9000ES to operate for around 9.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.69 GPH).
The 9000ES produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 10 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, because the 9000ES is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the Powerhorse 9000ES, which are L29.3 x W26.6 x H26.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 206 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The 9000ES's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Powerhorse 9000ES is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Powerhorse 9000ES is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 9000ES versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 9000ES compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 206 lbs, the Powerhorse 9000ES belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 75 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- As the 9000ES offers around 9.6 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.69 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV7500. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.45 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Impressive quantity of AC outlets
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (206 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (75 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|420 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Steel, 6.6 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|29.3 x 26.6 x 26.4 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Country of origin
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China or Vietnam.
The Powerhorse 9000ES is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|AC (10,000 BTU)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Cell phone charger
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Air compressor (1 hp)
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)
What does the throttle control switch do? Should I have it on? Couldn’t find information in manual. I have the powerhorse 9000E (Asked October 30, 2020)
This feature senses the load on the generator. With no load on the generator the engine speed drops to idle, which saves fuel and lengthens engine life. When a load is applied, the engine speed returns to maximum RPMs. Turning the switch off disables the sensing device and the generator will run at maximum RPM whether or not a load is applied.
Will it run a hot water heater (Asked November 14, 2020)
Most likely, yes. But it's always better to check your appliance's data plate to know its actual power needs.
How do I get a replacement throttle control switch for 9000? (Asked March 17, 2021)
Replacement parts can be ordered from Northern Tool.
Is this an inverter generator? (Asked March 18, 2022)
The unit is not an inverter generator, but it has a low THD.