Zoom on the Powerhorse 7000ES
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 7000ES is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 7000ES's core is the 420 cc (12.5 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5500W and a peak wattage of 7000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 74 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
The fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons allows the 7000ES to operate for around 10.4 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.63 GPH).
The 7000ES produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 9 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As the 7000ES holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Powerhorse 7000ES, which are L33 x W24 x H25 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 180 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 7000ES's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Powerhorse 7000ES is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Powerhorse 7000ES is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 7000ES versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 7000ES compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 180 lbs, the Powerhorse 7000ES belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 5000 and 6000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN6000, with a dry weight of just 119 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 74 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU7000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 10.4 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the 7000ES is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.63 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, with a fuel consumption of 0.35 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Powerhorse 7000ES is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (180 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (74 dBA)
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||7000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.4 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Metal, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||33 x 24 x 25 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||74 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750141|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse 7000ES is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4280 W||6980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.