Zoom on the Powerhorse 4500
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 4500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 4500's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3600W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons, the 4500 can operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
This Powerhorse generator is RV Ready, as it features a TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L24.8 x W23 x H21.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powerhorse 4500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 125 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the 4500 includes a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Powerhorse 4500 also comes with some accessories: tool kit and funnel are included.
The Powerhorse 4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 125 lbs, the Powerhorse 4500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 4500, reaching around 10.6 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.23 GPH, the Cummins Onan P4500i is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Powerhorse 4500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||3.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 23 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||102223|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse 4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2867 W||3867 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2840 W||3430 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.