Zoom on the Powerhorse 4500
In summary, the Powerhorse 4500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 4500's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3600W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W.
With a noise rating of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a dishwasher), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons, the 4500 may run for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
The 4500 generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Powerhorse generator is RV Ready.
The dimensions of the Powerhorse 4500, which are L24.8 x W23 x H21.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 125 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 4500 and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Powerhorse 4500 also comes with several accessories, including: funnel and tool kit.
The Powerhorse 4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 125 lbs, the Powerhorse 4500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 70 dBA is on the noisier side. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500DF. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The 4500, offering a run time of around 10.6 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, with a fuel consumption of 0.23 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Powerhorse 4500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (70 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,600 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||3.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 23 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||102223|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse 4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2877 W||3877 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.