Zoom on the Powerhorse 4500
In summary, the Powerhorse 4500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 4500's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3,600W and reaches a peak wattage of 4,500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 70 dBA (just as noisy as a shower). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons allows the 4500 to operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 4500 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Powerhorse generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L24.8 x W23 x H21.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powerhorse 4500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 125 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The 4500 and its control panel include a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powerhorse 4500 also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and funnel.
The Powerhorse 4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 125 lbs, the Powerhorse 4500 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3500 and 4500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 70 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF with only 52 dBA.
- As the 4500 offers around 10.6 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Predator 4375, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Standing at an estimated 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.23 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4500DF is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Powerhorse 4500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (70 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,600 W|
|Starting watts||4,500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||3.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 23 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||70 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||102223|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China or Vietnam.
The Powerhorse 4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2877 W||3877 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.