Zoom on the Powerhorse 4500
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 4500 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 4500's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3600W and reaches a peak wattage of 4500W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons allows the 4500 to operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
With its TT-30R receptacle (TT as in 'Travel Trailer'), this Powerhorse generator is RV Ready.
The design of the Powerhorse 4500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24.8 x W23 x H21.3 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 125 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 4500's control center features a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Powerhorse 4500 also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit and funnel.
The Powerhorse 4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 125 pounds, the Powerhorse 4500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- The 4500's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 10.6 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 4375, with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Powerhorse 4500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Weak warranty
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||3.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 23 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||102223|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse 4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2867 W||3867 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2840 W||3430 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.