Zoom on the Powerhorse 4500
In summary, the Powerhorse 4500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 4500's core is the 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3600W and a peak wattage of 4500W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons allows the 4500 to operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer'), this Powerhorse generator is RV Ready.
With its dimensions of L24.8 x W23 x H21.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powerhorse 4500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 125 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the 4500's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powerhorse 4500, the following accessories are also included: funnel and tool kit.
The Powerhorse 4500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 4500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 4500 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As its weight is 125 pounds, the Powerhorse 4500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 4500, reaching around 10.6 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000X, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.37 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Powerhorse 4500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Decent weight (125 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Weak warranty
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peak amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||3.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.8 x 23 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||102223|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 4500 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2867 W||3867 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2840 W||3430 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.