Zoom on the Powerhorse 4000ES
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 4000ES is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 4000ES's core is the 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3100W and a peak wattage of 4000W.
With a noise rating of 95 dBA (which is pretty noisy), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
The fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons allows the 4000ES to operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 4000ES generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 9 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Powerhorse 4000ES has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25.4 x W18.8 x H19.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 138 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the 4000ES includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Powerhorse also included a tool kit in the 4000ES's packaging.
The Powerhorse 4000ES is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 4000ES versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 4000ES compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 138 pounds, the Powerhorse 4000ES is one of the heavier generators producing between 2500 and 3500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 95 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- The 4000ES, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10.6 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.37 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Powerhorse 4000ES is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Decent run time
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (138 lbs)
- On the noisy side (95 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3100 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||25.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.4 x 18.8 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||95 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750139|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 4000ES is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2467 W||3467 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2475 W||2895 W|
|Halogen work light||1000||1000|
|Total||2400 W||3500 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.